Author Topic: When DNA matches on both Maternal and Paternal Lines  (Read 516 times)

Offline TheScoop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
When DNA matches on both Maternal and Paternal Lines
« on: Saturday 06 November 21 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have been trying to resolve a match for the last year with one of my highest cM matches (60cMs) on my maternal side. Our match is shared with a fairly close male cousin on my maternal side. Having been in touch with said match, it transpires they are adopted and although they know their biological parents now, neither of us are any the wiser.
More recently a first cousins daughter on the same maternal side popped up as a match to my male cousin (as would be expected) but unexpectedly does not match the mystery adoptee.
Conclusion - I think the adoptee matches on both my maternal and paternal side and one branch in their tree hints at this.
So, the question is - would this possibility impact the cMs I have been working with previously - in that, it won't be as high as 60 if matching on both sides? So, where we've been looking at approx generations and relationships to focus on, it would a very different case going forward, ie. less cMs to work with?
Hope that made sense.
Would appreciate some guidance here.
Thanks
Appelboom; Goldschmidt; Dickens; Dewar; Gordon; Oudney; McGregor; Smyth