Author Topic: John EVANS, miner, in Kingswinford Staffs, did he wed?  (Read 1045 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John EVANS, miner, in Kingswinford Staffs, did he wed?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 November 21 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I thought it was probably a mistranscription as there's no other record for the name as a first name in the area.

To view the record on FamilySearch, you just need to register, it's free.

For his surname to be Evans, he could have been born before the marriage. Not finding any record of him at the moment.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

guest259648

Re: John EVANS, miner, in Kingswinford Staffs, did he wed?
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 November 21 19:48 GMT (UK) »
osprey
That's OK, many thanks for looking.

Don't try too hard with the Duberly, there's no proof yet that he was the father of the John EVANS that I seek.

We still haven't solved the problem I first put to RootsChat a few days ago.

I lack:
1. a marriage for John EVANS and Matilda [Dalley or Dallow or Mangin/Mangen], 1820s?
2. a baptism for John Bernard Mangin EVANS who, for sure, must be the brother of this couple's daughter Matilda Mangen EVANS who was baptised Kingswinford 1826.

There is a baptism record for a Thomas EVANS 1823, died 1824, born to John EVANS + Matilda, Brierley Hill. Then apparently nothing till 1826 (Baptism of Matilda.) But John Bernard Mangin EVANS' birth fits in between these 2 children, however we can't find it.  This family's practice is to baptise every child, so I am perplexed.

There's nothing to suggest that John EVANS changed his job or moved away between 1824 - 26. This mining family, first based in Bromley, shifts about a mile west, that's all, and then stays put for decades.

The appropriate baptism records for Brierley Hill exist, because Thomas is in them, 1823 + 1824.
The records for Kingswinford exist too, because Matilda is in them, 1826.

So why might [what ought to be] an existing record not show up in any online Index?
Or is there a page missing in the original book?
Or did someone forget to copy/photograph a page, or the back of one?

Can anyone see the original baptism registers for Kingswinford?

D