Author Topic: DNA link from the late 1600s? Mumford  (Read 1128 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
DNA link from the late 1600s? Mumford
« on: Sunday 07 November 21 08:25 GMT (UK) »
I have a subscription to Anc*.  Last year, I checked my DNA matches (the six photo matches that appear when you open the DNA results), then checked my husband’s DNA matches. I was very surprised to see one of my results in my husband’s matches!  I assumed it was a glitch with Anc* as I am Canadian, my husband is American and our ancestors lived in different parts of England and Ireland.

A few months ago, I was bored and thought it would be humourous to search his DNA results for one of my more unusual surnames - Mumford (from my paternal line). Much to my surprise, he had more Mumford DNA results than I did!  A Mary Mumford, born in Virginia, USA in 1683 shows up in both of our matches. I have yet to find out if he is a descendant of a Mumford or if he is distantly related to his matches through a different surname.  However, he also has at least one match with someone who has a tree with “my” ancestors in it - Mumfords from Essex, England, 1800s.

A few weeks ago, just to see what would happen, I searched my mum’s DNA results for Mumford.  One of her matches is with someone who has the Mary Mumford mentioned above! I can understand how my husband might have Mumford ancestors or have matches to people who have Mumford ancestors as there is a good possibility that some of his ancestors were in America since at least 1700. I am puzzled about my mum’s results — perhaps her links are coincidence or through other surnames.

Is the above unusual or might it happen more than one would think (finding out husband and wife might be very distantly related and there is a possibility that a third person could also be related)? 
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA link from the late 1600s? Mumford
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 November 21 10:45 GMT (UK) »
I searched for a known match by surname as a mutual DNA contact and myself were trying to work out our connection.

A name popped up in my results. This man’s middle name was the same as the surname I was searching for, however it was his surname that caught my eye. I looked further and recognised all the names in his family tree! They are also names in my daughter’s boyfriend’s maternal family tree, which I had researched a couple of years ago.

This means that my daughter is related to her boyfriend! but I don’t have a clue who the common ancestors are. The match is through his mother’s line, and I suspect through my maternal line as well.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 21 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie:  Thank you for your reply.  Genealogy can be fascinating when we finally break down brick walls and/or find very unexpected results.  I hope you will be able to find the common ancestors. 

According to a couple of websites (who knows if the facts are correct) the 1600s Mumfords were from Canfield Parva, Essex, England.  Apparently, Canfield Parva was a stone’s throw from the birthplace (Dunmow, Essex) of my known mid-1700s Mumfords.  So, possibly my Mumfords were in Essex as early as the 1600s.  I look forward to now researching Mary Mumford’s family.

Thank you for telling me your story.  DNA results can be so surprising!
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 21 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Good luck with your search Lisa.  :) I don’t hold out much hope of ever solving my puzzle, but … maybe one day.  :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Good luck with your search Lisa.  :) I don’t hold out much hope of ever solving my puzzle, but … maybe one day.  :)

Ruskie, without going into boring details, my Mumford ancestors have proven to be very elusive. I once thought that all I would ever be able to find out is that “James Mumford” was born in England in 1826. Then I found his actual birthplace and his parents, grandparents, etc.  Now, the new search is connecting the dots with the “American” Mumfords.

Since I have done all of my research far away from where my relatives and ancestors lived, I have had to think of different ways to get my answers.  I don’t give up easily. 😉 If there is anything that I may help you with regarding your search, please contact me.

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 17:35 GMT (UK) »
According to a couple of websites (who knows if the facts are correct) the 1600s Mumfords were from Canfield Parva, Essex, England.  Apparently, Canfield Parva was a stone’s throw from the birthplace (Dunmow, Essex) of my known mid-1700s Mumfords.  So, possibly my Mumfords were in Essex as early as the 1600s.  I look forward to now researching Mary Mumford’s family.

Hi Lisa, i also have Mumford from early 1700's just a stones throw from those places. Mine are from High Easter in the 1720's, so there are a few mumford familes around that area.

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard, if you would like to further discuss our Mumfords, I would be very interested in hearing from you by pm.

My ancestors lived in Great Dunmow, then Hatfield Broad Oak, then Fyfield and finally in London for a short time before sailing to North America in 1857.  My ancestors and another “group” tended to hand down the name James. As you may know, Mumford is not a common name but I’ve joked in the past that English Mumfords only lived in that part of Essex and first-born sons had to be named James. ☺️ 

Most of my Mumfords were butchers and millers.

Thank you for writing and letting me know of your High Easter Mumfords.  I had not run across them during my research.