Author Topic: Will of 1583 part 2  (Read 531 times)

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will of 1583 part 2
« on: Sunday 07 November 21 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Here is the other half of the 1583 will.  Any help with a translation of the gist of it would be greatly appreciated.
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Will of 1583 part 2
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 November 21 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Kessa, there's a little problem with this image.  I have done from the last transcript down to where the problem stops play:

...shalbe at my

wives disposinge & pleasure.  Ite(m) whereas there is a barganne co(n)cluded co(n)descended & agreed upo(n)

betweene me & ^my^ wife Elizabeth Isabell Sawyer of ye one p(ar)te & my sonne Jho(n) Sawyer ye elder

of ye other p(ar)te in ye p(re)sence of Jho(n) Barnard Giles [Boulto(n)?] & Edward ^[Sherife?]^ [
crossed out] for

paying of...

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 21 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about that, I should have checked it before posting.  Here it is again.  Great that I know have his wife's name.  Thanks.
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 21 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Here are a few more lines.  I will do more later if more remains to be done.

...paying of my debt(es) wch he hath paid & dischardged accordingly & for fynding me & my said wife

houserome, fier & co(n)venient meate & drincke mete for ou(er) adge & degree according as he hath donne

hitherunto together wth rayme(n)t & apparrell of clenne & holsom(me) lynne(n) & wolle for change of

worke & holly daies during our naturall liffes...

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 November 21 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, that is so interesting.  Richard is acknowledging his son John the elder for taking him and his wife into his home and looking after them.  It's much appreciated.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 November 21 09:47 GMT (UK) »
A bit more, just to help out ...

... As also for discharding & paying of rent(es)

duties & all mann(er) of payme(n)t(es) scott & lott dewe to lord & kynge w(hi)ch is dewe out of my living

yt I enhabite & dwell in & so much of yt living yt he holdeth of ye living in Culkerton’ w(hi)ch

my yong(er) sonne Jho(n) dwelleth in yt he ye said Jho(n) Sawyer ye elder aforesaid should q(ui)etly

well & peceably w(i)thout any co(n)tradiccio(n), eviccio(n) or deniall have hold occupy & enioye to his

owne use & behofe all & all mann(er) p(ro)ffitt(es) com(m)odeties & adva(n)tages to my living in Culkerto(n)

wherein I nowe dwell togeth(er) w(i)th thapp(ur)tenanc(es) belonging & app(er)teininge duringe ye naturall

liffe of me ye said Richard Sawyer & my wife Isabell & ye longest liver of either of us w(hi)ch barganne I will shall stand & abide

inviolable.

=====
scot and lot = local taxes

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 November 21 13:27 GMT (UK) »
The remainder:

...inviolable.  The rest of my good(es) other the(n) those I by v(er)tue of ye barganne of ye barganne [sic] betwen

my sonne Jho(n) ye elder & me made & afore acknowledged are his & those I by my will ^as^ aforegeve(n)

& bequethed I geve & bequeth unto my wife Isabell who(m) I do by these p(re)sent(es) make my sole

exequtrixe witnesse hereunto Thomas [vyan?] clerke Giles Boulten will(ia)m knappe

the daye & yere abovewritte(n).

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 November 21 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed there's a jump in Bookbox's transcript on the phrase:  ...longest liver of either of us...

Give me a few minutes to fill in the gap.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 November 21 13:50 GMT (UK) »
This should be the flow from the top of Bookbox's post:

... As also for discharding & paying of rent(es)

duties & all mann(er) of payme(n)t(es) scott & lott dewe to lord & kynge w(hi)ch is dewe out of my living

yt I enhabite & dwell in & so much of yt living yt he holdeth of ye living in Culkerton’ w(hi)ch

my yong(er) sonne Jho(n) dwelleth in yt he ye said Jho(n) Sawyer ye elder aforesaid should q(ui)etly

well & peceably w(i)thout any co(n)tradiccio(n), eviccio(n) or deniall have hold occupy & enioye to his

owne use & behofe all & all mann(er) p(ro)ffitt(es) com(m)odeties & adva(n)tages to my living in Culkerto(n)

wherein I nowe dwell togeth(er) w(i)th thapp(ur)tenanc(es) belonging & app(er)teininge duringe ye naturall

liffe of me ye said Richard Sawyer & my wife Isabell & ye longest liver of either of us...

...togeth(er) w(i)th seve(n) ackers in ev(er)y errable field of Culkerton aforesaid & halfe ye severall

w(i)th one skore of shepe pasture & one beast(es) pasture w(hi)ch belongeth to ye house & living in

Culkerton wherein my sonne Jho(n) Sawyer ye yong(er) dwelleth during ye naturall liffe of

me & my wife & ye...

...longest liver of either of us w(hi)ch barganne I will shall stand & abide

inviolable.