Author Topic: Charles Jacobs  (Read 2756 times)

Offline kimmit

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Jacobs
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 09:13 GMT (UK) »
rosie99
I have scrap pieces of papers from relatives that are no longer with us, and i am just trying to put it all together in some sort of fashion

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 10:52 GMT (UK) »
In 1841 the William Jacobs who is in Tiverton is age 60 bn in county occ Labourer which would not rule him out from being a soldier in his earlier life.  Others in house Susan age 40, Matilda 13, Susanna 10 Sarah 8 and Emily 2 months.  The 3 older childrens baptisms name their parents as William & Susan

This was interesting to find on TNA.  It is a will for a Juliana Jacobs who is older than William c1780.  As she died in Tiverton in the 1800's when your family were there it may be worth getting a copy
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D272747
If you register with TNA you can download it free of charge.   The website is playing up for me at the moment so you may need to wait for them to sort it.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Juliana JACOB who died in 1834 was said to be 80. I have transcribed her will which I shall have placed on the GenUKI webpage for Tiverton, but here is the transcription which probably is of no help to you:
This is the last will and testament of me, Juliana JACOB of Tiverton in the County of Devon, Widow, as follows: Whereas under and by virtue of a certain Bond or obligation bearing date the twentieth of November one thousand seven hundred and ninety seven the very Reverend John SCOTT became bound to me for the repayment of the sum of four hundred pounds and interest. And whereas there now remains but on the said Bond the sum of two hundred pounds, I give and bequeath the sum of one hundred pounds part thereof unto my daughter-in-law Ann TAYLOR and I hereby direct that Charlotte SCOTT, widow and executrix of the said John SCOTT shall not be called upon to pay the remaining sum of one hundred pounds during her life or any interest for the same and that from and after the de--- of the said Charlotte SCOTT I give and bequeath the said sum of one hundred pounds unto my cousin Thomas Patrick HEWTSON (?), Stuart BALL (?) the same to be paid without interest. And whereas under and by virtue of the last will and testament of my late husband Samuel JACOB of Robarnaw (?) in the County of Tipperary, Esquire, certain lands and ---taments were charged with the payment to me of the principal sum of four thousand and two hundred pounds, now I hereby give and bequeath the said sum of four thousand and two hundred pounds unto my son in law Matthew JACOB of Robarnaw (?) aforesaid. I hereby give and bequeath all the rest and residue of my personal property of what nature or said ------ unto the said Ann TAYLOR in addition to that before named legacy of one hundred pounds and I hereby appoint Ann TAYLOR Executrix of this my last will and testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this tenth day of July one thousand, eight hundred and thirty four – Juliana JACOB (ss) – Signed, sealed published and declared by the said Juliana JACOB this testament as and for her last will and testament in the presence of us who are here present at the request and in the presence of each other have signed and named as witnesses hereto: Catherine BURTCHAELL ~ Jno. S. HOW ~ Josh. HODGSON
Proved at London 10th April 1835 before the Judge by the oath of Ann TAYLOR, a widow, the sole Executrix to whom Admon was granted having been first sworn by Commission duly to administer.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline kimmit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 03:08 GMT (UK) »
rosie99
Just been going through all the papers i have and found this
Charles Jacobs 1819 Tiverton England d 30 Nov 1884 Buried Sale
father and mother
William Jacobs b 1781 died 1845 Tiverton
Joanna O'Neil b1780 Dublin Ireland
Parents of William1781-1845
William  Jacobs
Mary Mitchel Croft no dates on them though
Maybe this will help
regards Kim

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 03:52 GMT (UK) »

At reply #12, and image of marriage Charles JACOBS, Victoria, 1862, he is recorded as widower, 1861.

Using BDM VIC index do you see death of adult, female JACOBS,  1861?

Such a death certificate would be useful for your research.

Does not have to be VIC, but most likely.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 04:48 GMT (UK) »

Annie Elizabeth JACOBS d/o late Chas. JACOBS, married 1885 to bigamist George BOWERS.

Gippsland Times 1 Apr 1887 p3 
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/62276225?

Offline kimmit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 05:39 GMT (UK) »
wivenhoe
not sure about who this is yet can't be Charles 1819-1884 his wife Christina was with him when he died of a heart attack in 1884.
Charles and Christina did have a son Charles 1866-1924, but it wont be him either.
So will have to do a bit more digging into who this Charles Jacobs is, many thanks Kim

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Mary Mitchel CROFT, spinster, married William JACOB, a painter, by licence 27 Mar 1776 Stoke Damerel, Devon.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline kimmit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 07:46 GMT (UK) »
DOB7
Many thanks for that really appreciate all the help. Regards Kim