Author Topic: Half-Brothers  (Read 788 times)

Offline hol2000

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Half-Brothers
« on: Monday 08 November 21 17:08 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking for more info on my half-brothers. Their Mom moved away from my Dad with the boys before I was born and they just disappeared. I would love to find them one day and reunite them with my Dad and Grandparents. I have no idea where to start. I know their full names, Mothers name and year/place of birth but thats as far as I can get.

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Half-Brothers
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 November 21 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
You have written a very generalised post, from which it is impossible to glean any information to help find these people.
If you would like to give some names and dates and places of birth, someone may be able to help you, or point you in the right direction for you to start looking for them.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 21 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hol2000,

I am sorry but it against RootsChat rules to post details of any possible living folk we are only able to give general advice to the country and region that you are researching but you did not say where ?

Have you tried contacting local newspapers or the local telephone book or anything like that ?

Regards

Sarah

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 21 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I would think that these days the first port of call would be social media.

Your mention of a father and grandparents and “Mom” gives the impression that you are quite young and living in the USA, so half brothers of a similar ages, hence the suggestion to try social media …. Even a general “google” search with names and a bit of trial and error with places in the search bar might throw up some hits.  :) Good luck, and welcome to rootschat.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 November 21 23:35 GMT (UK) »
There is information about tracing living relatives under the Help tab. Click "Help" tab then select "Guidelines for Posting" from menu on Help pages. 2 links to pages on tracing living relatives are partway down the page. Information and laws relate to UK.
Cowban

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Your mention of a father and grandparents and “Mom” gives the impression that you are quite young and living in the USA

Or living around Birmingham where Mom is commonly used.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 November 21 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Try facebook, in this manner: You need to search on the names you believe your half brothers to have. If you get any hits, check the "about" tab just in case they have put any personal info there - most people don't, but occasionally you get a place of birth or school named.

Then check out their "friend" list and search for any familiar surnames. Think not only of their birth surname, but also their mother's maiden name, any names of grandparents or cousins on their mother's side. (You may need to build a small family tree for their mother if you haven't already).

Then look at any photos they've put on. If anyone has "liked" them or commented on them, check the names of those people in case there is anything familiar.

If you're looking at an older generation, you may say -- oh, these people are too old,they won't be on FB - but you might be surprised. It's not uncommon for younger family members to set Granddad up with an account so he can see their photos etc.

if all this fails, it could be that they're not on FB but it could also be that their mother remarried and changed the surname. You may need to check out possible marriages for this.

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)