Author Topic: 25 Loughboro St ,1891 census  (Read 1184 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 25 Loughboro St ,1891 census
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Loughborough Street still exists - off Kennington Lane. All the 19th century houses have gone.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 November 21 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Loughborough Street still exists - off Kennington Lane. All the 19th century houses have gone.

Hi ,yes, I  found both street and road on a map. Sadly it doesn't really help. Theres a baptism in June 1893 for a JW Rogers, parents Sophia and Charles Rogers. Address  is 25 ( her lucky number ?)  Lupus Street, off Kennington Lane ,so I'll have a look at the census.
I'll also have another dig around for John William and Charles Ernest  on the 1901 census.
Thank you
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 November 21 09:42 GMT (UK) »
I don't think there was a Lupus Street south of the river in those days.

Theres a baptism in June 1893 for a JW Rogers, parents Sophia and Charles Rogers. Address  is 25 ( her lucky number ?)  Lupus Street, off Kennington Lane ,so I'll have a look at the census.

Is that who you are looking for?

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 November 21 23:49 GMT (UK) »
I don't think there was a Lupus Street south of the river in those days.

Theres a baptism in June 1893 for a JW Rogers, parents Sophia and Charles Rogers. Address  is 25 ( her lucky number ?)  Lupus Street, off Kennington Lane ,so I'll have a look at the census.

Is that who you are looking for?
I'm helping a lady find out about her grandfather ( Charles Ernest RODGERS) ,who they always believed came over from Ireland with one or two brothers and joined the military. No names for these brothers. That was all she knew about him prior to 1913 when he met and married her grandmother Elsie Steward up here in the NE.
  We know his DOB from the 1939 census ( South Yorkshire by then) and I eventually  found a Lambeth workhouse record of his birth. Mother single Sophia ROGERS ( no d)
Then the other workhouse  birth record for John William in 1893, again illegitimate, mother Sophia/ Sophie/ Sophy ( so many variations )
Through a process of elimination , I think she may be Sophie Maud Rogers born 1872 . Father Edward, mother Harriet Glover.
0n the 1891 census it's just Sophie M and her father at home, Harriet having died in 1898  and other siblings gone ( I'm looking to see where they were in 1901)
By 1901 Sophie M was married to George Albert Dobinson and had a child with him and was living in Portsmouth.

I can find Charles Ernest in the military in Salisbury in 1911, but haven't found him in 1901.I haven't found John William .
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 November 21 10:38 GMT (UK) »
There's a Westminster burial ,March 1898 for a John William Rogers ,aged 4. Address is 5 Westminster Buildings. It's not on modern day maps so just looking at the old OS maps.

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 November 21 10:42 GMT (UK) »
There's a Westminster burial ,March 1898 for a John William Rogers ,aged 4. Address is 5 Westminster Buildings. It's not on modern day maps so just looking at the old OS maps.
I think it was a school, but also housing and a workingmen's club. The school was a branch of the One tun ragged school. Quite interesting info on it.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 November 21 10:44 GMT (UK) »

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 November 21 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Westminster Buildings on Old Pye Street was mostly residential. Number 5 was occupied by Ellen Dennis and family in the 1901 census.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/the-westminster-working-mens-club-and-reading-rooms-a-lodging-house-picture-id1053515850

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 November 21 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Westminster Buildings on Old Pye Street was mostly residential. Number 5 was occupied by Ellen Dennis and family in the 1901 census.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/the-westminster-working-mens-club-and-reading-rooms-a-lodging-house-picture-id1053515850
Ah , right . Could you check the 1891 census for me please? I'm hopeless at finding specific addresses🙄
I've posted here, on the Middlesex board.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=855404.new#new