Author Topic: Wellesley Training Ship Exhibition at North Shields Local Studies  (Read 484 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wellesley Training Ship Exhibition at North Shields Local Studies
« on: Tuesday 09 November 21 14:35 GMT (UK) »
North Shields Local Studies is currently running a small Wellesley Training Ship exhibition.
People are asked not to take photos of the prints on display as this may breach copyright.  If anyone wishes to purchase copies for personal use, they are advised to ask staff.
One of the items on display is a wooden blotter which was made from timber from the Wellesley.
The exhibition is situated in two parts so ask staff where to locate.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Wellesley Training Ship Exhibition at North Shields Local Studies
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 17:26 GMT (UK) »
River Tyne Lass, An interesting subject, although I am too far away to visit.  From my delving on the web I discovered that the Wellesley was in fact a ship before it relocated to Blyth as a "land" school.  Attending Blyth Spartans in the 1950s, the Wellesley School band would go onto the pitch at half time and give a performance.
And, in the late 1950s when I was a delivery boy for a Blyth butcher, I remember cycling to the school about 6.30pm. to deliver to an officer's home, and then when cycling off towards the road I was chased by several of the "inmates." :o

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wellesley Training Ship Exhibition at North Shields Local Studies
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 14:04 GMT (UK) »
The training ship, based at North Shields, went on fire on 11 March 1914. The newspaper The Daily Mirror published the next day carried two photographs of the ship on fire.

This image is in the public domain on the internet.