Author Topic: Which William Sutton  (Read 3861 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Which William Sutton
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 13 November 21 08:49 GMT (UK) »
The William and Mary SUTTON in the 1814 muster through to the 1828 census .... they had children together, including a daughter Margaret of a similar age to Margaret Murphy.   So two baby girls named Margaret  :)  I will type up any baptismal records tomorrow OR Monday along with any other archival material from my research on Sydney and surrounds during Macquarie's reign.  I have several archival boxes full of copy and draft notes at hand.  Just waiting for natural light and clear study table to re-visit contents. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 13 November 21 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Various reports of the trial of William SUTTON in 1789 in the newspapers. He was sentenced to death in July, but was "respited" in October 1789 (" ... who had been capitally convicted at former sessions, were put to the bar, and received his majesty's pardon, on condition of being transported for their natural lives")
https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?div=s17891028-1

I note in the Old Bailey transcript William says he has a wife and 4 children.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 13 November 21 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Those ancestry images are likely to be  selected from the NSW  State Archives images from the reels of film of the Col Sec Papers, indexed some decades ago, but likely copyright held by NSW government..

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 13 November 21 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Wife and Four children by 1789
....  well found Maddy. 

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 13 November 21 09:21 GMT (UK) »
I have just been speaking with my cousin, a retired Archivist originally involved in the transfer of the NSW Archives from the State Library when it was hived off into its own authority..   He was involved in setting up the Kingswood facilities....

The commercial family history websites have, in his view, 'cherry picked' through the Archives, and only uploaded enough material over the years  to keep members paying subscriptions annually.  So each year, they upload a bit more ... The material held on shelving (and not on film on reels) at the Kingswood facility will likely include ship of arrival noted on Macquarie era land grants, and native place, capital of each person receiving a grant, a full description of the land etc.   In other words, sufficient info to identify family groupings.  He will go over this thread tomorrow. 

JM.

Offline NevilleTB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 13 November 21 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Know of Edward 1780, Sarah 1788, Harriet 1790 and Mary 1791. Not sure what became of Mary. Edward might have decided to stay in England but Mary was very young. Great spotting Maddy about the 4 children.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 13 November 21 12:02 GMT (UK) »
The National Archives has the following: "Letter from William Hayward of Fenchurch Street, London, enclosing and recommending the petition of William Sutton, a prisoner in Newgate whose death sentence had been respited and who awaited transportation to Botany Bay, asking to be allowed to transport himself for life, so that he could provide for his wife and 4 children" 11 Nov 1789

The full file can be downloaded for free, but the preview is readable here (starts at image 390 of 488):
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1905634
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 13 November 21 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Well found, Jomot.

JM

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 13 November 21 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Know of Edward 1780, Sarah 1788, Harriet 1790 and Mary 1791. Not sure what became of Mary. Edward might have decided to stay in England but Mary was very young. Great spotting Maddy about the 4 children.

Unlikely to be the family of the William SUTTON who was convicted in 1789, as his 4 children must have been born before July 1789.