Author Topic: Wearhead family in Weardale, Cherry Tree House  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wearhead family in Weardale, Cherry Tree House
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 21:56 GMT (UK) »

There's a mildly awkward
Burials   Weardale   1845   Ann   Wearmouth   abt 1831   St.Johns Chapel
but the above age matches the OP Ann and this one is a few years out from what we know so hopefully a diddy red herring.

Two possible other Anns

baptised March 1830, daughter of Robert & Margaret
baptised Jan 1831, daughter of Richard and Anne

More likely to be the latter - gravestone photo on Ancestry of Ann daughter of Richard and Elizabeth [??] buried Sept 1845 aged 15

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Awesome. Since there wasn't a reply a moment ago, I edited my previous post. Now looking up other christenings in BTs.

- Jonathan is son of Anne. DRO does not have any results for any children of Jane, including Mary, so seems the PR might have mother Anne and the BT erroneously has Jane for some reason? Goes to show records can be a nightmare sometimes lol

Offline Ehodgso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 22:07 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 census looks like the correct family.  But there is no Ann or Mary which is to be expected.  Joseph has also left the home it appears

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Going back another generation

Thomas Wearmouth
St John's Chapel
Birth date    9 Jan 1798
Baptism date    18 Feb 1798

Father     John Wearmouth, miner
Mother forename    Mary HOLMES
Father occupation    Miner
Notes    3rd son. Both parents Natives of this P

Ann Lowes
Stanhope St Thomas the Apostle
Baptism date    23 Dec 1796
Father    Jonathan Lowes
Mother    Ann
abode    Bollihope

Offline Ehodgso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 22:24 GMT (UK) »
On my Ancestry.com tree.  I have Thomas Wearmouth b 1797 married to Ann b 1802
Children are
Mary b1821 d 1906 married to William Pattinson b 1819 d 2871 one child Thomas b 1846
Richard b 1831
Ann Wearmouth b 1833 d 1905  Married Joseph Hodgson.  children John b 1849, Elizabeth b 1851 and Edward b 1852
Jane b 1836
Joseph b 1840
William b 1845

I  have Ann and Mary immigrating to Canada then Ohio USA in 1854

Hope this helps

Offline Ehodgso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 November 21 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Still trying to make sense out of the data AYASHI.....  Your births and baptisms fit if you consider not all names are part of the same family.  I think Thomas and Ann are my correct grands.... but the difinitive answer is not yet clear.  Maybe the weardale museum data will provide more info.

Thank you Ayashi and all.

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 18:28 GMT (UK) »

There's a mildly awkward
Burials   Weardale   1845   Ann   Wearmouth   abt 1831   St.Johns Chapel
but the above age matches the OP Ann and this one is a few years out from what we know so hopefully a diddy red herring.

Two possible other Anns

baptised March 1830, daughter of Robert & Margaret
baptised Jan 1831, daughter of Richard and Anne

More likely to be the latter - gravestone photo on Ancestry of Ann daughter of Richard and Elizabeth [??] buried Sept 1845 aged 15
The headstone inscription reads

Sacred to the memory of/ ANN DAUGHTER OF RICHARD/ AND ELIZABETH WEARMOUTH/ OF ST JOHN'S
CHAPEL WHO DIED/ SEPT. 27TH 1845 AGED 15 YEARS/ ALSO FRANCES THEIR DAUGHTER/ WHO DIED
MARCH 22ND 1864/ AGED 24 YEARS 11 MONTHS/ ALSO ELIZABETH THEIR DAUGHTER/ AND WIFE OF
GEORGE SANDERSON/ WHO DIED MAY 6TH 1867/ AGED 24 YEARS 5 MONTHS/ ALSO THE ABOVE
RICHARD WEARMOUTH/ WHO DIED DEC. 24TH 1875/ AGED 71 YEARS

There's also this Wearmouth headstone in SJC.

IN LOVING MEMORY OF/ RICHARD WEARMOUTH/ OF CHERRY TREE HOUSE/ DIED SEPTEMBER 8TH
1903/ AGED 72 YEARS/ MARGARET WEARMOUTH/ DIED MAY 21ST 1903/ AGED 63 YEARS/ JOHN
WEARMOUTH/ DIED JUNE 25TH 1853/ AGED 7 WEEKS/ MARY ANN JOHNSON/ DIED DECEMBER 26TH
1895/ AGED 41 YEARS/ MARGARET COULTHARD/ DIED SEPTEMBER 21ST 1883/ AGED 26 YEARS/ JOHN
WEARMOUTH/ DIED SEPTEMBER 30TH 1864/ AGED 14 WEEKS/ CHILDREN OF THE ABOVE/ RICHARD &
MARGARET WEARMOUTH/ ALSO/ JANE WEARMOUTH/ DAUGHTER OF THE ABOVE/ RICHARD &
MARGARET WEARMOUTH/ DIED FEBRUARY 16TH 1924/ AGED 62 YEARS

Burnfoot and Broken Way are both streets in SJC. Chesters refers to  a pair of houses  in SJC.

Anyone will tell you that Weardale family trees are notoriously difficult. Back in the mid 1800s there were only about 15 surnames in upper Weardale, first son's were usually named after their father, and eldest daughters often given their mother's maiden name as a middle name.  Everyone was related somewhere along the line. My grandparents were Stobbs and Elliott and shared the same great grandparents who were also Stobbs and Elliott.
In addition, women were often still giving birth to  children when they were already  grandparents which often makes it  hard to work out the  generations.
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline Ehodgso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Suellio
I was convinced the Richard and Elizabeth family  were my ggg grandparents, they had two daughters 2-3 years apart, which seemed to fit.   The birth years were not correct.  Your gravestone shows Ann died at 15.  My Ann married Joseph Hodgson and moved to Quebec and then Ohio USA in 1854.  She had about 14 kids, and died in Ohio about 1905.    Also a 4th cousin of mine living in San Francisco, USA, sent me a marriage document of Ann marrying Joseph Hodgson and Mary marrying William Pattinson.  Also, Mary Wearmouth/Pattinson went with Joseph to Ohio, i found Mary and Ann's gravestones. The father shown for the girls is Thomas Wearmouth living at Cherry tree House. I found  1841 and 1851 census data showing this family living at burnfoot in 1841, then Cherry tree House in 1851.  Then to make it confusing, Mary does not show up in the 1841 census. (She married in 1845)  Ann married about 1850.  Also, Richard and Ann also show up living in Cherry tree house  around that time.  Maybe Richard and Thomas were brothers.... maybe Thomas adopted Mary?   So you are spot on saying things get confusing in Weardale.  I can not find any census data for 1831. Guess there is not any.  I have had no luck with finding birth or baptisms to prove anything either.
Someday i might figure this out.  I might take a vacation and visit the weardale museum, they have a great data base i understand.

Thank you for helping me with this

Offline Ehodgso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Rereading the inscription, Richard died in 1845, so that would leave Mary orphaned.... also at cherry tree house. Maybe Thomas moved in there from burnfoot, and signed Mary's marriage license as her father