Author Topic: Where can I find any more info on this soldier?  (Read 5636 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Where can I find any more info on this soldier?
« on: Saturday 13 November 21 09:22 GMT (UK) »

Making the most of Fold 3 being free to view this weekend, I found this record in the WW1 Pensions Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914 - 1923:

Name:   Richard Kean
Record Type:   Card
Service Number:   89189, Tr/Lon/73785
Corps, Regiment or Unit:   Manchester Regiment
Title:   WWI Pension Record Cards and Ledgers
Description:   Other Ranks Survived
Next of Kin:   
Name   Relation to Soldier

I’m wondering if this is the same Richard Kean, born Manchester 1860, who enlisted with The Manchester Regiment in 1886?

Could anyone tell me where I might be able to find any further information on him please?

Cheers, Romilly.
Richard Kean   
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I find any more info on this soldier?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 November 21 09:51 GMT (UK) »
No. 89189 Richard Kean was only 23 when he enlisted in 1919.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 November 21 09:54 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks SeanJ,

And so he’s definitely not the man that I’m searching for, born Manchester 1860!

Btw, where did you find his age please?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 November 21 10:26 GMT (UK) »

Many Thanks Sean.

I'm wondering if this 1931 Death for a Richard Kean, (Boer War Veteran) might be the man I'm looking for? 

I can't see him in Fold 3...

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 November 21 11:03 GMT (UK) »
That's probably Richard Kean, Army Service Corps 4985. He served in the Boer War and lived in Birkenhead. Born around 1868 which would ties in with that 1931 death.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO97%2F5258%2F162%2F001&parentid=GBM%2FWO97%2F5258%2F917044

I'm not seeing a R Kean of the Manchester Regiment on  the Boer War medal rolls.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 November 21 11:25 GMT (UK) »
I’m wondering if this is the same Richard Kean, born Manchester 1860, who enlisted with The Manchester Regiment in 1886?

I can see a Richard Kean who joined a militia battalion of the Manchester regiment in November 1886 - number 2014. Single man, aged 22, so born circa 1864. Looks like he wasn't with them for very long. Vouched for by another Richard Kean, 6 Harper Street (who can be found at that address in 1881 with wife Martha and family).

EDIT I see I have found that for you once before!

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=815251

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 November 21 12:25 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks for all of your help Shaun.

Yes, you had previously found the 1886 Attestation Papers. I know that it’s the right man, because of the address and him being vouched for by his father, Richard Kean 1832 - 1893.

I’ve found an Article about him receiving a 1 month Prison Sentence in 1891 for neglecting his Wife and children, but he vanished after that. That’s why I’m looking at Army Records and Deaths for a Richard Kean, born Manchester in 1860.

I’m very much hoping that he didn’t marry my Grandmother Margaret Rees in Swansea in 1893 as William James Wilson!

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 November 21 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I’ve found an Article about him receiving a 1 month Prison Sentence in 1891 for neglecting his Wife and children, but he vanished after that.

Is that the Richard Kean of Warrington? I'm pretty sure that's not the same man.