Author Topic: Mary McLeod (abt 1771-) Tarbat, ROC  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McLeod (abt 1771-) Tarbat, ROC
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 November 21 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Janet Denoon, other surname McLeod, died in 1860, mother's maiden surname Hendry. Therefore I think you can dismiss the idea that Mary McLeod was Donald's mother-in-law.

There are baptisms of two sons to Alexander Denoon and C/Katherine Henry in Tarbat in 1802 and 1808, so it would be a reasonable hypothesis that these are Janet's family.

I see from the index to baptisms on SP that Donald McLeod and Janet Denoon named two daughters Mary; one baptised on 5 April 1834, who presumably died before the one baptised on 3 May 1841 was born. Since we can be reasonably sure that Janet Denoon's mother's name was not Mary, this adds weight to the idea that Mary McLeod was Donald's mother.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 November 21 11:17 GMT (UK) »
the 1861 census (a transcription) lists at Rockfield Farm, Tarbat
Donald McLeod, 70, born Assynt, Sutherland
Alexander, 23
Mary, 20
Donald, 12
Neil, 8.
Best to check the original to make sure that it has been correctly transcribed, of course, but it seems to settle the question of where Donald was born.

Except that in both the previous censuses he said he was born in Ross, not Sutherland. Could the enumerator have misinterpreted what he said, and assumed that he meant Assynt in Sutherland rather than Assynt in Ross?

But in either case he cannot be the one baptised in Tarbat in 1802.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 November 21 11:36 GMT (UK) »
I downloaded Robert McLeod's death cert. 1868 Balnabruach, Tarbat aged 80 but parents names are unknown, single, and nurse Julia McKay was informant.  Not very helpful.  However, the 1851 census shows him living with his younger sister Margaret Ross in Balnabruach, Tarbat.
Margaret McLeod, other surname Ross, died in Tain in 1859 aged 64, mother's maiden surname Ross. Therefore it looks as if Robert's mother's surname was Ross. Her death certificate should tell you their father's name and their mother's given name.

However Robert is too young to be Donald's father, as he would have been born in the 1790s and Donald was born about 1800.

Regarding placenames is Balnabruach in Tarbat or Nigg?
As the death was registered in Tarbat, it is in Tarbat. At that time, a death always had to be registered in the registration district where the death occurred.

This is confirmed by the listing at www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 November 21 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Incidentally, where did you get the idea that Tarbat is 'Tarbat by Fearn'?

In 18th and 19th century terms, and 20th century until they started messing about with local authority boundaries in the 1970s, Tarbat and Fearn are two separate and therefore mutually exclusive parishes. By definition, if a place is in one parish it is not also in another parish.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 November 21 15:13 GMT (UK) »
John McLeod married to Margaret Vass also of Tarbat has parents Neil McLeod and Mary.
.... hopefully link John McLeod (1796 Geanies, Tarbat - 1886 Tarbat) to Donald McLeod (1801-1866).  There is a Donald McLeod born 26 Oct 1802 in Tarbat.

There may be a link between John McLeod (1796-1886) and Donald McLeod (b 1802), both of whom were born in the parish of Tarbat. However you say that John's parents were Neil and Mary, and I see that Donald's were John and Katherine. So John and Donald, if they are connected, cannot be brothers. They could be cousins, but the records don't go back far enough to be sure of that.

However the Donald born in the parish of Tarbat in 1802 isn't likely to be yours, because yours says he was born in Assynt, which is either the parish in Sutherland or the estate in the parish of Alness.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 18 November 21 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Forforian thank you for the additional info.  I meant to say I had found a christening record for Donald McLeod in Tarbat.  Isn't it possible to be born in Assynt and christened in Tarbat?

I used Tarbat by Fearn to be consistent with other info found.  There might be other Tarbats or Tarbets.

I am hopeful Donald had other siblings and with time I will download more death certs. and possibly find out who the parents are.  These families were of special interest to me because some are connected to Nigg, ROC. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 November 21 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Forforian thank you for the additional info.  I meant to say I had found a christening record for Donald McLeod in Tarbat.  Isn't it possible to be born in Assynt and christened in Tarbat?
Yes, it's possible, but very unusual. Have you looked at the original to see if it tells you where the parents resided?

I used Tarbat by Fearn to be consistent with other info found.  There might be other Tarbats or Tarbets.
There are lots of Tarba/e(r)ts, but no other parish of the name in Ross and Cromarty.

I am hopeful Donald had other siblings and with time I will download more death certs. and possibly find out who the parents are.  These families were of special interest to me because some are connected to Nigg, ROC.
You never know :)