Author Topic: John Haretty  (Read 938 times)

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Haretty
« on: Wednesday 17 November 21 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Can anybody find John Harrety's baptism or even locate him on the 1841 and 1851 census?
here is a small 'potted' history of what I know.

John Harrety was probably born in Maidstone, Kent around 1836.
However, the first time that he can be traced with any certainty is on the 1861 census where he is lodging with John and Martha Parr in Stranton, Hartlepool, his occupation given as a ‘engineer’ and his place of birth as ‘Canterbury.’
He was named as being a nephew, although it is difficult to establish a link between him and the head of the household; John Parr had married Martha Leslie in Sunderland on the 2nd January 1837; John originating from Gateshead and Martha from North Shields.

John married Jane Oliver in Hartlepool during the March quarter of 1867.

A daughter, Isabella, was born during the December quarter of 1867, and a son, John Thomas, was born during the March quarter of 1869.

Jane Harrety died during the June quarter of 1870; her age was given as 34 years.

The 1871 census finds John and his two young children still living in Dover Street, within the same household as his ‘in-laws’, Thomas and Elizabeth Oliver.
He was employed as a labourer in the shipyard, and, strangely, his place of birth is given as ‘Ireland’.
Son, John Thomas, died shortly after the census was taken, during the June quarter of 1871; he was 2 years of age.
John remarried in Hartlepool during the September quarter of 1874, to Eliza Faulkner (nee Howgego).
Eliza had been born in Whitby during the September quarter of 1837, daughter of John Howgego and his wife, Mary Ann Askew.

A son, John Henry, was born during the June quarter of 1875, sadly dying during the same quarter, and, William, was born on the 29th September 1877.
The 1881 census finds the family now living in 49 Grace Street, Hartlepool, where John was employed as a ‘check clerk’ – possibly issuing tickets.
A daughter, Lilian Mary, was born on the 10th December 1881, and her birth completed the family.
By 1891, the family had relocated to 16 Surtees Street, where John continued to work as a check clerk.
Within the household were two boarders, Alfred Blades, a blacksmith and Jane Carr, a draper’s assistant.
The family remained in Surtees Street and by 1901, John’s occupation was given as being a ‘ticketer’, whilst son, William, was a house painter.
Again two boarders were in the household brother and sister, Charles and Mary Galloway; daughter, Lilian, went on the marry Charles Galloway the following year.
John died during the June quarter of 1904; his age was given as 67 years.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Haretty
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Either of his marriage certificates should have more information about him, most importantly name and occupation of his father to look for him as a child. 

Witness names can also be helpful if relatives. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes - looks as though I may need to purchase copies.

I just thought, with a name like his, he would have been easy to trace on the 1841 and 1851 census, but no luck!

Sue

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 16:00 GMT (UK) »
I think so unless anyone else can ferret him out.  I can't see any likely candidates unfortunately. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 17:07 GMT (UK) »
  There are 2 baptisms in Folkestone to an unmarried mother, Elizabeth Harity, in 1833 and 1835, although not John. The only other "Harity"s I have found so far are in southern Scotland, and the name has a rather Irish ring to it.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes! On one census John does give his place of birth as Ireland but all the rest as Kent.
He's a mystery!!

Sue

Offline Juninho

• RootsChat Extra
  • Per Mare Per Terram
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 June 22 13:51 BST (UK) »
This maybe purely coincidence but when my g/parents John Robert Cooper Lowery and Annie Eleanor Howgego married in 1915 one of the witnesses was a Charles Galloway. I also beleive that I have his name in my grans autograph book.
Lowery.Lowrey.Lowry etc-Durham,Northumberland
Stephenson- Durham
Howgego- All
Maughan, Maugham- Durham
Reavley- Durham
Dixon- Durham
Emmerson-Weardale
Rutherford-weardale