Author Topic: Arthur White West yorks  (Read 886 times)

Offline Jack TT

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arthur White West yorks
« on: Friday 19 November 21 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Help please.
Pte. Arthur White. 22632 West Yorks regt.

I have found a FindMyPast record for the above, it was also linked to No.2232 same name
it shows the he was invalidated in 1919, however I cannot find a MIC for him. I wonder if anyone has any other route or site that would tell me if he was issued with his WW1 medals

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur White West yorks
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 November 21 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If it helps I can find him in "UK, World War I Service Medal and Award Rolls"

West Yorkshire Regiment or Corps (Original)  Sheet No. 1716
Individuals entitled to the Victory and/or the British War Medal granted under army orders

22632  Pte.  Arthur WHITE
11th W .York. R. 22632. Pte.
Remarks:     Reserve Z  20/02/19  (this line has a pencil remark next to it "Noted A") or H?

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 November 21 14:04 GMT (UK) »
This is a bit weird -- Arthur White was 47 years of age when he re-enlisted on the 16 October 1914. He was previously in the 51st Regiment being discharged in July 1902 after 16 years service. His paperwork on Find My Past goes on to show 2 receipts for medals, 1 for the British War Medal and the other for the Victory Medal. The confirms the Medal Rolls entry that Daisypetal posted. There is aslo another page in his papers that shows he was awarded both medals. Other pages within his record clearly shows that he was in Malta and then in France during WW1. The weird bit is that I can't find a Medal Index Card for him, I have looked on Find My Past; Ancestry and the National Archives.

EDIT
I have also checked on Fold3 without success

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 November 21 15:25 GMT (UK) »
The Medal Index Cards collection is the most complete listing of individuals who fought in the British Army in WWI, containing approximately 90% of soldiers’ names.

Arthur White must be one of the few soldiers without a MIC.

https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/world-war-i-articles/medal-index-cards/

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Jack TT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 November 21 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for that, I have now gone further into FindMyPast and got the medal receipts, I also wonder if he got a pension ??? the medal receipts linked me to two hospital admissions.
I have fold 3, however for some reason I cannot get past the bit where I put the soldiers name and number in, it keeps coming up with a fault at their end!!

This man made interesting reading from the hand written notes contained in FindMyPast.
Thanks to you all for the steer in the right area.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 November 21 20:08 GMT (UK) »
I have fold 3, however for some reason I cannot get past the bit where I put the soldiers name and number in, it keeps coming up with a fault at their end!!

He has two Pension Ledger card records on Fold3, which I can view without problems. The cards indicate he also served with the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. Service numbers: 2332, 22632.

Do you also have an Ancestry sub? If so, you can access both Fold3 records via Ancestry.

Offline Jack TT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 November 21 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Finally got my Fold 3 to work!! appears it needed me to go via Chrome, sorted now.
Got the pension record.
One other request?? I have seen his first service record, however no mention of any award for Boer war service, is there an other route to find if he was awarded the QSA/KSA??
Thanks again for all your input.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 November 21 22:04 GMT (UK) »
The service record you refer to indicates he received the "South African Medal with clasps for Cape Colony, OF (Orange Free) State, Transvaal, and South Africa 1901 1902".

His SA service dates were: 18 March 1901 to 7 (?) Oct 1902. Total: 1 year, 204 days.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 November 21 22:30 GMT (UK) »
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)