Author Topic: William and James Costello of Mile Tree, Clonmel, Tipperary  (Read 730 times)

Offline A Logical Genie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William and James Costello of Mile Tree, Clonmel, Tipperary
« on: Saturday 20 November 21 04:09 GMT (UK) »
If you are reading this, Hello. It is my first self-initiated post on RootsChat.

I have a couple of questions that I would welcome your thoughts on.

Question 1: Where was William Costello (born ca 1840) baptized?

My great grandfather William Costello was born (ca 1840) in or near Clonmel, Tipperary (possibly at Mile Tree). He emigrated to New Zealand arriving ca 1860 (I cannot find when or where he entered New Zealand). He died (1908) at his farm in North Canterbury, New Zealand.  He had named his farm “Clonmel”.

On both his marriage and death certificates his father is listed as Michael Costello. He married a widow, Eliza Jane Bunting (nee Dalzell) in New Zealand in 1882. On his marriage certificate his mother is listed as Catherine Costello (nee O’Donald) and on his death certificate she is listed as Catherine Costello (nee McGrath). He had at least two siblings that came to New Zealand: his brother Michael (for whom I cannot find a death certificate or a grave) and his sister Annie (Anastasia) Poschich (nee Costello). I have been looking for birth registrations for him and his siblings, so far without luck. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Question 2: Is James Costello (born ca 1860) a brother of William Costello?

There is another family of Costello’s who lived at Mile Tree. They can be seen in the 1901 and 1911 Censuses (listed as Costelloe, Lawlesstown). Head of the family was James Costello. In the 1950’s a daughter-in-law of William visited Mile Tree Farm on a trip from New Zealand. She met several bachelor brothers of the family who lived there (sons of James). Another brother of the same Mile Tree Farm family did marry and two of his children are priests with whom I am in contact. Everyone seems to agree our families are related, but I have yet to find a link which confirms this.

The grandfather of the two priests is likely to be the James listed in the 1901 Census1. A James Costello (of Miletree) married a Kate Burke in March 1881 according to the records. They appear to be the grandparents of the two priests. Kate was apparently known as Ellen Burke2.

The father of this James was also a Michael Costello. Is this the same Michael Costello who was the father of William Costello? Were William and James brothers? I cannot find a birth registration for James or William online – finding these would certainly help. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

Note: William was born ca 1840 and James [who married in 1881], if he is the one aged 40 in the 1901 census, would have been born ca 1860, which is a large (but not implausible) gap.

1    https://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tipperary/Clonmel_Rural/Lawlesstown/1709998/
2    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1881/10995/8020136.pdf

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William and James Costello of Mile Tree, Clonmel, Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 July 23 04:01 BST (UK) »
Civil registration in Ireland only began in 1864. You'll have to look at church records.

Offline ruffell place

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Dear A Logical Genie etc

Re William COSTELLO, b. ca. 1840 in/near Clonmel, County Tipperary, Ireland
                                  arrived (Bluff, Southland,?) New Zealand, possibly via Melbourne, Australia
                                 d. 17 January 1908, at "Clonmel" (Farm), Costellos Road, The Peaks, North Canterbury

Annie COSTELLO,  b. ca. 1841 in/near Clonmel, County Tipperary, Ireland
                                 arrived (West Coast,?) New Zealand, possibly via Melbourne, Australia

m. Raymond POSCHICH - ca. 1825, Fiume, Croatia (Austrian Empire) 
                                    - d. 1912 Barrytown, New Zealand
    Annie/Anastatia/Anastasia Costello ("Costellor") POSCHICH
                                    - d. 1917 Cobden, New Zealand
Both buried - Barrytown Cemetery, 86 Cargills Road, Barrytown, West Coast   

Michael COSTELLO, b. ca. 1840 in/near Clonmel, County Tipperary, Ireland
                                 arrived (West Coast,?) New Zealand, possibly via Melbourne, Australia "with sister?"
                                 - detained 1852 (aged "12")
                                 - supposeedly Michael accompanied Annie to New Zealalnd
                                 - owned 50 acres farmland adjacent "Clonmel"
                                 - 1884: taken by Crown as an asylums estate
=============================================================

My Grandmother Kathleen Dwyer COSTELLO (Temuka, 1895 - Christchurch, 1998), m. Thomas Christchurch, 1921, widowed 1951. Lived in Masons's Flat 1897 - 1953. Went on a trip to Ireland in the late fifties, early sixties and found "two old men" still living in the family farm.

Some Costellos have travelled out to see the New Zealand branch, the latest a Priest in about 2006(ish?). I did not meet him.                   

MICHAEL findings
in next posting - bit long?!

==================================================

Cheers from Nelson, New Zealand

Offline ruffell place

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 03:43 GMT (UK) »
CONTINUATION

MICHAEL findings
=========================================================
CLONMEL Jail Records 1851 - 1870

COSTELLO Michael - Clonmel Goal - 1852 - June 29
https://www.ancestrylibrary.com.au/imageviewer/collections/61943/images/ire_prisr_rs00018280_4492623_00276?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=460c0570cc9264cab2c5a331f778feed&usePUB=true&_phsrc=v23-1252724&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=102810
No.  PRISONERS'      Age  Education Religion HEIGHT Eyes  Hair    Comp.(lexion?)   When          By Whom       ..... Sentence   Date of Discharge
        NAMES                                                    F.  I.                                                 Committed     Committed
2817 Michael Costello  12     N ??          C          4  5        Brown  Brown  Fresh             June 29       John Hackett              dischd       July 1
& 2819 repeated

COSTELLO Michael -  Clonmel Goal - 1852 - July 22
https://www.ancestrylibrary.com.au/imageviewer/collections/61943/images/ire_prisr_rs00018280_4492623_00292?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=v23-1517818&_phstart=successSource&pId=108240
No.  PRISONERS'      Age  Education Religion HEIGHT Eyes   Hair    Comp.   When          By Whom       ....Sentence   Date ofDischarge
        NAMES                                                    F.  I.                               (lexion?) Committed  Committed
3181 Michael Costello  12?    N ??          C         4  0?       Blue    Brown     Fresh       July 25       Mr Byrne               dischd       July 24

of interest
COSTELLO Anthony - Clonmel Goal - 1852 - July 22
https://www.ancestrylibrary.com.au/imageviewer/collections/61943/images/ire_prisr_rs00018280_4492623_00292?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=460c0570cc9264cab2c5a331f778feed&usePUB=true&_phsrc=v232031662&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=108240
No.  PRISONERS'      Age  Education Religion HEIGHT Eyes Hair Comp.   When          By Whom       ..... Sentence   Date of Discharge
        NAMES                                                    F.  I.                      (lexion?)  Committed  Committed
3186 Anthony Costello  12    R            C            4   4       Grey Brown Fresh     July 22       Mr Byrne               dischd       July 24

COSTELLO Michael - 1852 - Clonmel Goal - July 25
https://www.ancestrylibrary.com.au/imageviewer/collections/61943/images/ire_prisr_rs00018280_4492623_00293?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=460c0570cc9264cab2c5a331f778feed&usePUB=true&_phsrc=v232031662&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=108240
No.  PRISONERS'    Age  Education Religion HEIGHT Eyes    Hair     Comp.    When          By Whom       ..... Sentence   Date of Discharge
        NAMES                                                  F.  I.                             (lexion?) Committed    Committed
3205 Michael Costello 12?     N           C         4. 0.      Brown Brown     Fresh      July 25           Mr Byrne               dischd          July 26
                                   (handwritten "Mayor")

next in Ancestry list - probably unrelated - Michael COSTELLO - drunkeness - Waterford 1864
https://www.ancestrylibrary.com.au/imageviewer/collections/61943/images/ire_prisr_rs00018282_4492782_00151?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=v23-796295&_phstart=successSource&pId=3115383
No.  PRISONERS'   Age  HEIGHT Eyes    Hair     Comp.   Residence    Education Religion  Trade      By Whom  Date of        Offence     Sentence   
        NAMES                      F.  I.                            (lexion?)                                                                 Committed Commital
425  Michael Costello 25      5  7      Grey  Brown     Fresh    Galls Mills   None          RC       Labourer Mr Lawler  23 Aug1864   Drunkenes  Fined
                                                                                            Co. Kilkenny                                                                                                    2/6 &                                                                                                                                                                                                                Costs or 24.?                                                                                                                                                                                                                     (hours)

COSTELLO Michael - 20 years age - assault -  Clonmel Goal - 1861                                                                                         
https://www.ancestrylibrary.com.au/imageviewer/collections/61943/images/ire_prisr_rs00018280_4492623_00551?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=v23588767&_phstart=successSource&pId=188357
No.  PRISONERS'      Age  Education Religion HEIGHT   Eyes   Hair      Comp.         When          By Whom   Sentence    Date of Discharge
        NAMES                                                       F.  I.                             (lexion?)     Committed  Committed
853  Michael Costello  20     N ??           C            5  9 1/2    Brown  Brown  Fresh         28 Dec       Mr Bush?       14 days HL     9 January 1862

-----------------------------------------------------------
COSTELLO Michael - 16 years age - discharged at Petty Session -  Galway Goal - 1856

Offline ruffell place

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 03:44 GMT (UK) »
CONTINUATION

MICHAEL findings
=========================================================

creenshots
-----------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.ancestrylibrary.com.au/discoveryui-content/view/406765:70791?tid=&pid=&queryId=8a973676a04b8e553d03721293f4cb21&_phsrc=v23654719&_phstart=successSource

Michael Costello
Birth Year:   abt 1838
Departure Date:   Jan 1863
Departure Place:   Victoria, Australia
Destination:   PORT CHALMERS NZ
Ship:   NORWESTER
Ship's Master:   ALMY ROBT B
Page:   011

=================================================
ESTATE OF MICHAEL COSTELLO
PRESS, VOLUME XL, ISSUE 5917, 30 AUGUST 1884
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP18840830.2.22.6?end_date=30-01-1885&items_per_page=100&page=17&query=costello&snippet=true&sort_by=byDA&start_date=03-05-1850&title=AMBPA%2cAG%2cASHH%2cEG%2cGLOBE%2cLT%2cNCGAZ%2cOO%2cCHP%2cSCANT%2cTS%2cSUNCH%2cTEML%2cTHD%2cWDA%2cCHARG%2cGRA%2cGEST%2cHOG%2cIT%2cKUMAT%2cLTCBG%2cWCT%2cWEST%2cAHCOG%2cBH%2cCL%2cCROMARG%2cDUNST%2cESD%2cLCM%2cLCP%2cLWM%2cME%2cMIC%2cMTBM%2cNOT%2cOAM%2cODT%2cOW%2cOSWCC%2cSOCR%2cST%2cTT%2cWSTAR

IN THE ESTATE OF MICHAEL COSTELLO.

WAIKARI.

MESSRS. BENN & CO. have received instructors from the Public Trustee to

SELL BY AUCTION,
at AMBERLEY, on MONDAY, THE 15th SEPTEMBER, 1884,
50 acres magnificent AGRICULTURAL LAND, situate at Waikari, and being R.S. 26287

Sale at 12 o'clock.
BENN & CO .

see

1885. NEW ZEALAND. ESTATES IN THE HANDS OF THE PUBLIC TRUSTEE
Estates and Value thereof in the hands of the Public Trustee as Official Curator of  {...}Estates of Lunatic Patients.
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/parliamentary/AJHR1885-I.2.3.2.32
COSTELLO Michael - £201 8s 2d
amount given is the estimated value

Note - this land is still in the family - Farmed by James Costello and his wife
==================================================

Cheers from Nelson, New Zealand

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 07:53 GMT (UK) »

ruffell place,

Most of your links relate to Ancestry Library Edition, where you are required to log in with your username and password.

Welcome to Ancestry Library Edition
Please enter a username and password or click help for assistance.

Much easier to take a snip of the relevant information and attach it using 'Attachments and other options'.

Also you can use the RootsChat ShrinkLink (https://www.rootschat.com/links/) to make long links short, as in your reply #4.

Good luck.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo