Author Topic: Edith Annie Todd - Whitley Bay  (Read 3093 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edith Annie Todd - Whitley Bay
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 25 November 21 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Photo of Nurse Edith A. Todd in the 'Whitley Seaside Chronicle & Visitors' Gazette' dated 19th December 1914.
Held at North Shields Local Studies.
It will be out of copyright so I am posting.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 25 November 21 15:18 GMT (UK) »
What a lovely find!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 25 November 21 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I agree!  Even though she is not my ancestor I am thrilled to find this for another RootsChatter! :D
There is a good article with it which I hope to type up soon. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 25 November 21 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful,  well done.   :)
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 25 November 21 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you wilcoxon. :)
This is the typed up article which appears with the photo:

‘THE NURSING ASSOCIATION
Nurse E. A. Todd
Some five and a half years ago there came into Whitley Station a young lady.  She arrived on a cold and stormy night in February, and no doubt the place would look (to her) cheerless and dark.  The lady was Nurse Todd, coming to take up duties of District Nurse, and she was sent here from Yorkshire by the Victoria Jubilee Institute for Nurses, London, at the request of the local committee.  She came with splendid credentials and with strong recommendation of headquarters.  She was met by one of our local ladies, the honorary secretary of the association, who soon got her to comfortable lodgings.
The very next day duty commenced, and since that time Nurse Todd has been busily engaged in her work of mercy amongst the sick poor and she also has assisted those who could not engage a nurse permanently.
The number of letters received by the association and also the number of verbal testimonies made to the officials of the association, as to the tact, ability, attention and devotion to duty of Nurse Todd have been remarkable.  Every week one of the ladies, together with the assistant hon. Secretary, visits Nurse Todd, by rule, so as to examine reports, and books, and advise Nurse, and each of the ladies testifies to the capable manner in which the work was done by Nurse Todd.
The officials of the association also have nothing but praise for Nurse Todd for the way in which their efforts have been assisted and forwarded by her.
As to her work it will be of interest to the inhabitants of this district to know that during her stay here as Nurse, Miss Todd had 662 cases under her care, entailing 17,007 visits to patients, and what time this has taken up would be difficult to state, but it will be enough to mention that there can have been very little time as spare time or holiday.
A rule of the association demands that Nurse shall be at the direction of the medical gentlemen of the district and this has been faithfully carried out.  It says a great deal for Nurse Todd when it can be stated that no complaint or charge of inattention has ever been made by any medical man, or by any of the general public.  The doctors speak very highly of Nurse Todd, and have repeatedly stated their appreciation of her services.
The time came in September last when Nurse intimated her intention of giving up her work on the occasion of her marriage, and it was then that the committee deputed the officials to solicit subscriptions from the friends in the district, so as to mark their appreciation and show their regard at this interesting time.
The officials have been successful, and the presentation duly came off last night (Friday) in the Council Chamber, Whitley Bay, when the subscribers were called together.
A report of the presentation will be found in another column.’

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 25 November 21 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Wow RTL that’s amazing. What a brilliant find. I’ve never heard of the Whitley Seaside Chronicle and Visitors Gazette.
North East of England

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 26 November 21 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Candleflame.  :) This newspaper goes up from the late 1890s to 1950 on microfilm at the local studies.  It is a real gem of a newspaper and my favourite  as it had quite a personal and community feel to it.  It is a crying shame it is not online yet as this published regular photos of local people and of actors and actresses who appeared at the local theatre and really good articles and detailed obituaries.  It really excelled too during the war years publishing photos of those who served and letters home.

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 26 November 21 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Wow wow wow River Tyne Lass that is amazing - I can`t tell you how grateful I am.
Edith had a very difficult start in life - her parents had parted - I suspect her father had an alcohol problem.  My connection to her is via her mother and her mother`s first husband - I know quite a lot about her mother`s first family but always wanted to know more about Edith
You really are a star!
Jane

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 27 November 21 09:26 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome Jane!  I was quite thrilled myself to find a photo of Edith!  :D
It sounds like perhaps this might have been why Edith was such a good nurse, if her own background was not easy, perhaps this increased her empathy for others.
Is it right that Edith resumed her nursing again after son Robert was born even though it seems she planned to give it up after marriage?  You write she continued until 1920.