Author Topic: Edith Annie Todd - Whitley Bay  (Read 3094 times)

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edith Annie Todd - Whitley Bay
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 02 January 22 16:20 GMT (UK) »
That`s a shame.  I understand the wish to keep graveyards tidy but it does make them far less interesting!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 03 February 22 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,
I inadvertently came across what I believe is another mention of Edith recently.  This is in the Whitley Seaside Chronicle dated Saturday Feb 8th 1919
This is an excerpt from the Nurses' Association Annual report for year ending Dec 31st 1918.  It is only a little excerpt piece but I thought you might like to know about this too..  :)

... 'The calls on Nurse by the sick poor has been large in number and many of the cases have been of a severe character and have been of long duration and needed constant attention.
The committee is grateful to Nurse Hall for the assiduous care and attention, together with the cheerful service she has been able to render.
Notwithstanding the personal anxiety she has experienced on account of those nearest and dearest to her being at the war, she has bravely gone through her work for the Association and has faithfully performed her duties. ..'
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 04 February 22 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello RTL - more excellent research on your part!  I`m sure that must be Edith.  It seems likely she gave up being a district nurse when she married, but went back to it during the war when her husband (the "nearest and dearest" of the article) was away in the Flying Corps.

Many thanks
Jane