Author Topic: Merchant Seamen - query re outbreak of WW2  (Read 560 times)

Offline vapcq45

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Merchant Seamen - query re outbreak of WW2
« on: Sunday 21 November 21 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I wonder if anyone could kindly tell me whether a young fit man of 19 would have the choice to join the Merchant Navy rather than a military force and what that process might be?

I have an ancestor who's first record is 1942 at age 22 as an Asst ships cook on a tanker delivering fuel for the British Government.  The record says he has already been at sea for 5 years but I've no idea where I can find a record to show this.  The 1939 Register says he was a House Painter, so I think it must have been shortly after this that he joined....I've tried Ancestry, FindMyPast and the NA online.

Any thoughts would be welcome, thank you.

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Seamen - query re outbreak of WW2
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 November 21 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor who's first record is 1942 at age 22 as an Asst ships cook on a tanker delivering fuel for the British Government.  The record says he has already been at sea for 5 years but I've no idea where I can find a record to show this. 

Just curious: where did you locate the 1942 record? Also, if he was discharged later on, have you checked the NA to see if they have a Seamen's Pouch for him?
Go to: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/merchant-seamen-serving-since-1918/ and scroll nearly halfway down the screen to the section titled Seamen’s pouches, issued 1940-1972 but covering service 1913-1972. Enter his surname and year of birth in the Search field. If there is a Seamen's Pouch for him, you'd have to view it at the NA.

Here's a very helpful article, which might help address your initial query about young men joining the MN:  https://military.wikia.org/wiki/British_merchant_seamen_of_World_War_II

Offline vapcq45

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 November 21 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Hillhurst for the info. It looks like he does have a pouch at the NA so will see if I can get a copy. Never heard of these so great news.

The 1942 info was from Ancestry.  From the Immigration section. New York US arriving passengers manifest of crew members. He was on SS British Statesman from Curacao. He was at sea until around 1956 and then went to work as Cook/Chef for the DEW Line in Alaska.

Thanks also for the general info link. Very helpful.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 November 21 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Registration for conscription of 20-23 year old's started on 21 Oct 1939. If in the meantime he joined the merchant navy as a 19 year old, he would then be in a reserved occupation and exempt conscription into the armed forces when reaching his 20th birthday.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline vapcq45

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 November 21 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Ah, thanks very much Tony.  He lived near Liverpool. Once I get his papers I can see whether he was already in the Merchant Navy pre 1939 or whether he made a perhaps calculated decision. 

Many thanks.

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 November 21 05:17 GMT (UK) »
TIP: Using the Discharge number associated with his Seamen's Pouch, check the NA to see if he received a WW2 Medal issued to Merchant Seamen. If he did, it will probably be in the BT 395 series, and can be downloaded.

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 November 21 08:59 GMT (UK) »
His Seaman's Pouch although a good document to have can be hit or miss with regard its content. It is not his service record and may or may not add much to what you already have albeit they usually have a mugshot ID photo.

His service records should be held at Kew in a form CRS10 in series BT 382. Best copied by visit to the archives or via a researcher. These files are held in block surname order https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C15680

Any questions - please feel free.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline vapcq45

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 November 21 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Hillhurst and Hugh for being so helpful and so knowledgeable!  I will follow your advice and this means I can really write up his story in more detail, which I am doing for his daughters, my cousins.

Thanks very much.