Author Topic: Ancestry DNA genetic communities  (Read 841 times)

Offline Lanc81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA genetic communities
« on: Sunday 21 November 21 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
New to this. My father has just received his Ancestry results. He has 3 genetic communities : Lancashire & Greater Manchester 1700 - 1950, Slovakia and Hungary ( Western Preslov and kosice and central  North Hungary)1700-1975 and Southern Poland 1700 - 1975.
We know our family is from Lancashire but the other regions are a surprise. What I'm wondering is, are genetic communities where our ancestors are from or is it just similar DNA

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA genetic communities
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 December 21 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lanc81,

Your father's Genetic Communities on Ancestry DNA are based on shared ancestors and their geographical homelands. If you open the tabs in the DNA Story you will see something like North West England & the Isle of Man (my own example)  and a timeline. It states that 328,754 AncestryDNA members belong to this community. "You and the all the members of this community, are linked through shared ancestors. You probably have family who lived in this area for years - and maybe still do." In my example it then goes on to say " The more specific places within this region where your family was likely from - Lancashire". It may even suggest that your Featured Matches have a known connection to this area. In my case, I have three 3rd and 4th Cousins with this  connection. I have been able to ascertain my link to all three of these individuals through their online trees. Now to be clear, I do not match 328,754 members but I have enough matches who in turn match others within the community network.

The Timeline element of the DNA Story delves into the specific history of the region. This can help build up a picture of the socio-economic factors that affected your ancestors. This can help explain migrations and job changes. If you scroll through it will also identify people in your tree who are born within the time period and geographical area. In my case,  my 5th great grandmother, Sarah Smith, 1729-1812 lived in Northwich, Cheshire, covered within the North West England.

I also have a smaller DNA community in Europe. The Coastal Northwest Germany has only 175,393 members and my specific region is Osnabrueck. It covers a small area from Osnabrueck to Bielefeld, and centres on Buende, Kreis Herford. I can trace my mother's paternal line in the Buende  region from the 17th-21st century.

So these communities give me an accurate picture of where my family is from using my DNA matches, their online trees and their network of DNA matches. Your father's DNA profile suggests Slovakia and Hungary - Western Preslov(sic) and Kosice, North Hungary and also Southern Poland. This suggests your father has DNA cousins who also have their roots in modern Slovakia, with a spread just into South Poland and North Hungary. You may not have any known Slovakian ancestors at the moment so this may  have come as a surprise. Does the Community suggest any Featured Matches ? If so you can hopefully check out their online trees for clues about their European ancestry.

If you need further info on Ancestry DNA Story Communities check out Roberta Estes blog DNA_eXplained https://dna-explained.com/2017/03/28/genetic-communities/ where you can find a link to the Ancestry White Paper on the subject.

Good luck!
pughcd
Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia

Offline Lanc81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA genetic communities
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 December 21 15:02 GMT (UK) »

Thank you for the reply pughcd, that was very interesting to read.
He doesn't have any suggested matches for those communities but I have found some just searching for trees with Hungarian and Slovakian birth places.
The only connection I can think of is my father's grandmother had Romani ancestry perhaps the link is through that.