Author Topic: Bridget Gilroy, formerly Reynolds, possibly nee Burne  (Read 500 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridget Gilroy, formerly Reynolds, possibly nee Burne
« on: Monday 22 November 21 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Trying to suss out Bridget Gilroy, formerly Reynolds, 'possibly' nee Burne.
Originally from Roscommon, Ireland, lived in Newcastle from at least 1860, died Gateshead 1881, age at death said to be 62.
First of all trying to see if there may be anything outside of Ireland I may have missed before heading over to the Ireland Boards to ask for help there. Any straws to be clutched at are most welcome.

NB Spelling variations/ misheard/best guesses at the surnames on the records of this family and extended family are legion.
Timeline of Records I have:
1835 'Possible' marriage 05 Nov 1835, George Reynolds & Biddy Burne,  Aughrim Parish, Roscommon  MF 04610/04
https://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000633876#page/193/mode/1up
1836 'Possible' child, James Reynolds, parents George Reynolds and Biddy Burne, baptised  27 Aug 1836 Aughrim Parish, Roscommon  MF 04610/04
1855 Apr 9, Marriage of daughter Margaret Reynolds to Patrick McGargill at St Andrew, Newcastle
RC record  Brides parents recorded as George & Bridget
1860 Death of Henry 'Gildroy'
29 Oct 1860, Wood Entry, Sandgate, age 56,  cement works labourer, inf. Patrick McGarrigal, present at death, White Boar Entry, Sandgate. No relationship  given but that is the address in 1861 for Bridget's daughter Margaret and her husband Patrick McGargill
1860 01 Nov Newcastle Chronicle, page 3 col 5 Death Notice
 St Mary's-street, 29th ult., aged 56, Mr Henry Gildroy.
1861 census White Boar Entry, St Anne's St, age 45, widow - recorded with surname Reynolds, (though should be Gilroy, she's not had time to remarry and become a widow yet again? plus its just too spooky to have found a 3rd husband with the same surname as No. 1 !) daughter Elizabeth Reynolds is with her.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7ND-9W2
1861 7th Oct, Marriage of daughter Elizabeth Reynolds to Hugh McGarrigal at St Andrew Newcastle. Bride's father George Reynolds (RC register now in a different format to 1855 and doesn't record mother's name)
1871 census 3, Swirle, Newcastle age 52, widow, with son in law, daughter and grandchildren (surname was dittoed from rest of household and is not correct)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V518-L5S
1879 14 May 1879 Birth of Elizabeth and Hugh Mcgargill's son, Michael, was registered by Bridget (it says McGallagher but its definitely him) Inf was X the mark of Bridget Gilroy, grandmother, present at the birth
1881 census 14 Argyle St, Gateshead surname originally dittoed as McGargill, then crossed out and Gilroy added, age 66, widow
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q271-R3ZH
1881 Death register entry
died 10 Aug 1881, 14 Argyle St, age 62, widow of Henry Gilroy, informant Hugh McGarrigill, son in law 14 Argyle St.
1881 12 August, burial Gateshead East Section O, grave 3013
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-L92D-9?
Grave Register Gateshead East for O 3013
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-L3VC-Z98Q-X?
Though this was a public grave, with 8 interments the next 3 burials were all related to Bridget (and therefore allowable in a public grave - burial of UNrelated people was not allowed for x years? possibly 7?)
Bridget Jennings age 29, wife of Thomas, 25 Beaufort st, 21 Jul 1885 entry 26948 folio 88 GRANDAUGHTER, ( married daughter of Patrick and Margaret)
Bridget McGarrigill age 11 months daughter of Hugh 3 Sutherland St 19 Mar 1887 entry 29171 folio 199 GRANDDAUGHTER
George W Woodcock , age 4 months, 14 Argyle St, son of Andrew, 12 Oct 1890 entry 34510 folio 166
GREAT GRANDSON (child of Hugh and Elizabeth's  married daughter Margaret)

All I have and its taken me years on and off to get this far :-)
Boo

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Gilroy, formerly Reynolds, possibly nee Burne
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 November 21 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello  ;D

As I would understand it, the address attached to the informant's name on Henry's death cert isn't where informant was "present" at death, rather, it's where informant lives:
Henry Gildroy died at Wood Entry Sandgate.
The Informant, Patrick McCargill, lived at White Boar Entry Sandgate (Bridget's address 1861, thereby pretty conclusive that Patrick is Margaret's husband))

Bridget appearing in the 1861 Census as widow Reynolds, points more likely to the suggestion that she and Henry Gildroy/Gilroy were not - for whatever reason - legally  (Civilly) married ? This would be a fairly common scenario.

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Gilroy, formerly Reynolds, possibly nee Burne
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 November 21 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello  ;D

As I would understand it, the address attached to the informant's name on Henry's death cert isn't where informant was "present" at death, rather, it's where informant lives:
Henry Gildroy died at Wood Entry Sandgate.
The Informant, Patrick McCargill, lived at White Boar Entry Sandgate (Bridget's address 1861, thereby pretty conclusive that Patrick is Margaret's husband))

Thanks Ambly, yes I understand that the address of Patrick the informant, was his home address but he was definitely Bridget's son in law and I know he was living there in 1861 so, in my notes its a plus point for this Henry being his  mother in law's 2nd husband /  'bidey in' :-)

Bridget appearing in the 1861 Census as widow Reynolds, points more likely to the suggestion that she and Henry Gildroy/Gilroy were not - for whatever reason - legally  (Civilly) married ? This would be a fairly common scenario.

Yep! Though the jury is still out on whether or not they were actually married (I have a good few who are in that category), any records I have for either Bridget or Elizabeth indicate they were not literate and therefore would need help to complete the form. I am trying to keep an open mind, if Bridget was not at home and Elizabeth was asked what her name was and said Elizabeth Reynolds and she lived with her mother Bridget, its always possible that whoever completed the form assumed her mother's surname was the same.
and if Bridget 'had' reverted to the surname Reynolds on an official form, I can't see why she would then go back to giving her name as Gilroy to a registrar in 1879 when she registered a grandson's birth.

She is SUCH a pain!

I have now found an RC Parish marriage on Scotlands People that I am trying to check out.

Is a real long shot, 5th May 1851 Edinburgh St Patrick's, Henry GILROY and Bridget BYRNE (which was Bridget's maiden name from the 'possible' marriage to George Reynolds in 1835, Roscommon.
Though her surname should be recorded as Reynolds, the  tradition in Scotland of  women continuing to be known by their birth surnames is a straw to clutch at (and I am fast running out of those so take what I can get!)

Sadly no ages or parents names included and its too early for civil registration in Scotland, but I am firkling through census returns for 1851 (census taken on 30 Mar) in the hope that I can either prove its not them or perhaps take it out of the real long shot category and put it into the possible file.
Should keep me occupied for the foreseeable future (and beyond LOL)

Thanks again for taking the time to look and reply, its appreciated.

Boo