Author Topic: Thomas Morreys & Ann Ashley  (Read 575 times)

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Gt Grandmother-Margaret Dickenson
    • View Profile
Thomas Morreys & Ann Ashley
« on: Monday 22 November 21 14:17 GMT (UK) »
You helped me with these two when I asked for your help with their son James Morris back in April.

The name had changed at some time down the line from Morrey/s to Morris.
I am now looking to go further back & need more info on Thomas Morrey/s b.abt 1770 Staffs & Ann Ashley c.1769 Stone,Staffs.Thomas Morreys was a Wheelwright  & they married 22nd Apr 1794 at St Michaels,Stone,Staffs.

What I am looking for now is the parents of these two & any other info you can find for me.
With your help I obviously acquired help with the family they had & I really appreciated that help.
Please can you find some earlier history for me.
Lancashire- Moss,Broadbent,Olley,Dobson,Dickenson,
Norfolk-Olley,Knowles,Bunn,Pooley,Scott,Vince
Caithness & Dumfries - Evans,Sinclair,Mackay
Belfast-Antrim - Mackay,Connor,Bunting
Liverpool,Wigan & Southport - Ball,Taylor
Isle of Man - Harp,Dougherty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Knighton,Radnorshire - Evans, Broadhurst
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Morreys & Ann Ashley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 November 21 17:20 GMT (UK) »
To start you off:

I looked at the image of Thomas & Ann's marriage entry, and saw Thomas' signature (Thomas Morreys). I then looked for other Ashley marriages in Stone and found the following:

Joseph Hodgkinson m. Martha Ashley 20th January 1794, which was witnessed by... Thomas Morreys. It is definitely the same man as the signature is identical.

William Dutton m. Mary Ashley 14th August 1796, which was also witnessed by Thomas. There is an image of the marriage licence on FindMyPast and Thomas Morreys, joiner, is listed as a bondsman.

I notice that one of the witnesses to Thomas and Ann's marriage was a Martha 'Rushley.' I assume this is Ann's sister who married Joseph Hodgkinson earlier that year. I have no idea why she was still going by her maiden name... maybe she just forgot for a moment  ;D

Looking for 3 sisters called Martha, Mary and Ann, I found these baptisms, which all took place in Trentham, Staffordshire, not far from Stone:

1764: Mary, daughter of Samuel & Mary Ashley
1767: Ann, daughter of Samuel & Mary Ashley
1770: Martha, daughter of Samuel & Mary Ashley

There was also Elizabeth (1758), Ellen (1762) and Fanny (1773).

It looks like Ann's father, Samuel, was actually baptised in Stone in 1730, the son of Samuel & Helen/Ellen Ashley. It looks like he died in 1818 in Trentham.

Samuel married Ann's mother, Mary Stoneway, on 24th January 1755 in Trentham. Samuel is described as 'husbandman.'

There is a burial of a Mary Ashley, aged 86, in 1814 in Trentham (born c.1728), which is most likely hers.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 November 21 17:51 GMT (UK) »
To start you off:

I looked at the image of Thomas & Ann's marriage entry, and saw Thomas' signature (Thomas Morreys). I then looked for other Ashley marriages in Stone and found the following:

Joseph Hodgkinson m. Martha Ashley 20th January 1794, which was witnessed by... Thomas Morreys. It is definitely the same man as the signature is identical.

William Dutton m. Mary Ashley 14th August 1796, which was also witnessed by Thomas. There is an image of the marriage licence on FindMyPast and Thomas Morreys, joiner, is listed as a bondsman.

I notice that one of the witnesses to Thomas and Ann's marriage was a Martha 'Rushley.' I assume this is Ann's sister who married Joseph Hodgkinson earlier that year. I have no idea why she was still going by her maiden name... maybe she just forgot for a moment  ;D

Looking for 3 sisters called Martha, Mary and Ann, I found these baptisms, which all took place in Trentham, Staffordshire, not far from Stone:

1764: Mary, daughter of Samuel & Mary Ashley
1767: Ann, daughter of Samuel & Mary Ashley
1770: Martha, daughter of Samuel & Mary Ashley

There was also Elizabeth (1758), Ellen (1762) and Fanny (1773).

It looks like Ann's father, Samuel, was actually baptised in Stone in 1730, the son of Samuel & Helen/Ellen Ashley. It looks like he died in 1818 in Trentham.

Samuel married Ann's mother, Mary Stoneway, on 24th January 1755 in Trentham. Samuel is described as 'husbandman.'

There is a burial of a Mary Ashley, aged 86, in 1814 in Trentham (born c.1728), which is most likely hers.

Queenie  :)
Wow Queenie you have found a lot of info there. Fancy the Ashleys having 6 daughters.I bet th poor man always yearned for a son.Thank you so much for all your work.
Cheshire - Dickenson
Caithness - Sinclair

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 November 21 18:50 GMT (UK) »
FreeReg has a baptism in Stone 25 August 1769 for a Thomas Morrey, parents Robert and Anne. Abode given as Tittensor.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 November 21 19:02 GMT (UK) »
FreeReg has a baptism in Stone 25 August 1769 for a Thomas Morrey, parents Robert and Anne. Abode given as Tittensor.

Thank you very much,I have the seen abode Tittensor on something to do with Thomas' marriage.

Cheshire - Dickenson
Caithness - Sinclair