Author Topic: When or if did Timmings become Timmins  (Read 508 times)

Offline jibhauler14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
When or if did Timmings become Timmins
« on: Monday 22 November 21 18:07 GMT (UK) »
I have a large number of both Timmings and Timmins in the Sedgley / Wolverhampton / Dudley area 99% of the Timmins are since 1800 while all of the Timmings a before 1800, any ideas or thoughts on them being the same lineage ? as yet cannot find a definite connection..

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: When or if did Timmings become Timmins
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 November 21 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I've always thought an "s" on the end of a surname meant "son of"

"The ancestors of the Timmings surname in Ireland are thought to have arrived with or in the wake of the 12th century Anglo/ Norman invasion of the Emerald Isle, led by Strongbow. The surname Timmings is ultimately derived from the personal names Timothy or Thomas. The Gaelic form of the surname Timmings is Mac Toimin."
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I have a large number of both Timmings and Timmins in the Sedgley / Wolverhampton / Dudley area 99% of the Timmins are since 1800 while all of the Timmings a before 1800, any ideas or thoughts on them being the same lineage ?

Would it not depend on a) whether people who bore the surname Timmins/Timmings could read and/or write;  b) how people pronounced their surnames; c) how a scribe interpreted what he heard and how he decided to spell what he heard.
Cowban

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I'd agree Maiden Stone.
I don't think you can read a lot into whether they used a 'g' in it or not.
Possibly as more people were able to write their names as the 1800s progressed, one version of it became the more accepted norm.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs