Author Topic: Help finding Elswick cemetery records  (Read 873 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding Elswick cemetery records
« on: Tuesday 23 November 21 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm trying to trace the final resting place of some relatives and I know quite a few were buried in Elswick Cemetery in Newcastle.

I know North Shields library has the records for Preston cemetery that you could sit and plough through if you wanted to and was wondering if the same sort of thing exists for Elswick?

Does anyone know of any records in the public domain I could look through?

Thanks,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding Elswick cemetery records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 12:06 GMT (UK) »
There are some records on Family Search but they are a bit hit-and-miss.
There is an alphabetical burial index which runs from 1930.
There is also a burial register which starts in 1947.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/828351?availability=Family%20History%20Library
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michal,
 JenB has given the link to available records on FS. Newcastle library do have microfilms of these registers, so if they are allowing MF access and you have time to go you'd be able to trawl through earlier ones there - also at TWAS but their opening times are probably not suitable for anyone who works, the library opening hours are much more user friendly.

If any of yours are in the index shout out the name and I am happy to try the graves registers to see if any family members are also in there  - the graves registers are very complicated but I have a spreadsheet that can cut down the time firkling.

Boo

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi JenB and Boo,

Thank you both for the help and advice, I'm trying to locate any Woodger's there. I know quite a few are there but I don't have exact details for them all.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the Newcastle City Library local studies (level 6) has the Elswick burial records on microfilm.  You will be able to plough through records as easily as can be done at North Shields local studies. :)
That's right that the Newcastle local studies is much more user friendly than the archives.
They have  late night opening on Tuesday and Thursday (7 pm) and they are also open on Saturdays. (10 - 4)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks RTL, I think I found someone earlier that I wasn't aware of just by trawling through the link JenB posted earlier but it was a lot of work for one record that may or may not be connected.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Michael

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 21:27 GMT (UK) »
The local studies at Newcastle also has the Newcastle newspapers on microfilm so it is easy to check for death notices which can help in finding out if correct person has been found.
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/DeathNotices/deaths_WILT
There are a couple of Woodgers on this link.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that RTL, I don't remember using that site before, I might have to start a list.

Off the top of my head I think that is John the kipper man and his wife.

Michael

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 December 21 13:01 GMT (UK) »
I have had a fantastic response from north tyneside council bereavement services in assistance to trace burial sites of  my north Tyneside ancestors, I just gave the names, date of death and they found the records for me, 8  ones in unmarked graves. I understand that newcastle city council is less well resourced but it would be worth emailing them. There are a number of cemeteries in the Elswick area, you probably want St.John's Cemetery which is a real necropolis.
Johnson, Coleman, Graham, Dixon, Thewlis