Author Topic: Looking for William Symmonds born 1842ish  (Read 1161 times)

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Looking for William Symmonds born 1842ish
« on: Thursday 25 November 21 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I am looking for the above person pre 1881 please. I have just got his marriage cert to an Elizabeth Lewis m/n Ferber in 1882, but i am still having no luck with this guy, different variations of his surname are not helping either. Please can anyone find him for me and stop me going crazy xx

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for William Symmonds born 1842ish
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 November 21 09:31 GMT (UK) »
The certificate says Florence Lewis nee Ferber.

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 21 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry my fault, yes its Florence not Elizabeth duh !!

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 November 21 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Something rather strange.
Free Reg. Baptism. St Mary, Cardiff. 1 Jun 1856. Florence Ferber. Parents Victor and Elizabeth.

1891. William Symonds. 36. Baker. Born Monmouthshire. Florence, 35. Born Monmouthshire. Living with children, Hewell Street, Canton, Glam. Ref. RG 12.  Piece/folio 4401/4. Page 4

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 November 21 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi and thanks for your help
It is a strange one your correct, i have the original thread on the West Yorkshire forum under 'Albert Victor Pointing', but figured i had better put this latest elusive person (William Symmonds) under the Wales forum as that was where he married Florence Lewis. (Furber).  She was previously married to a John Lewis in 1878, had a child called David Lewis in 1881 and then married the above William Symmonds in 1882. I have no idea what happened to her previous husband or son David. Then in 1891 Florence was 'living' with a John Henry Pointing (Henry Poynter) in Brecknock in Wales. She had changed all the Symmonds childrens surname to Pointing, and she was also Poynter at this time. My family line is from the Victor Augustine Symmonds , the child she had with William above in 1888. Victor Augustine Symmonds later changed his name to Albert Victor Pointing, which was my original thread in West Yorkshire as i couldnt find him, not knowing then he had changed his name. He is with his mother Florence and Henry Pointing in 1891 under the name of Victor Pointing. I want to follow the Symmonds name now as Albert Victor wasnt born a Pointing as the family thought, and Symmonds was his birth name. Hope that all makes sense. Like i put earlier the original thread under Albert Victor Pointing is on the West Yorkshire forum which may help x

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 November 21 11:09 GMT (UK) »
William’s birth year is way out on this 1891 census but it is the only one I can find, which is probably why I could not find him earlier.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:414W-ZZM

Still there in 1911.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 November 21 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin
Would you possibly be able to put the link to William in 1911 please, im getting excited now as you may have found him, i thought he may have died but if hes still at the same address in 1911 i was totally wrong xx

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 November 21 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I apologise, I thought I had the 1911 but different family. GRO was down earlier; I have now found three of the children’s registrations, no Wm Hy? 
They were noted as born Monmouthshire in 1891 so that was incorrect, therefore the other information on the census may also be so. As far as I can see no registration for William senior in Monmouthshire 1838 to 1855?

This looks likely to be Florence.
   FERBER, FLORENCE       CHURCH 
GRO Reference: 1856  J Quarter in CARDIFF  Volume 11A  Page 239

SIMMONDS, FLORENCE       FERBER 
GRO Reference: 1886  S Quarter in CARDIFF  Volume 11A  Page 335

SYMONDS, VICTOR  AUGUSTINE     FERBER 
GRO Reference: 1888  M Quarter in BRECKNOCK  Volume 11B  Page 98

SYMONDS, ELIZABETH       FERBER 
GRO Reference: 1890  J Quarter in CARDIFF  Volume 11A  Page 334

Did you find William on the 1881 census?

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 November 21 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
No i havent found William Symonnds on the 1881 census, i cant read his address on the marriage cert very well, it looks like Knole but im not sure. Its so frustrating as he is there somewhere but with the different surname spellings im not sure what to put in the search engine for him. You would think a Baker would be fairly easy to find, but nope he isnt x