Author Topic: Hannay/Milwain, Wigtown  (Read 5538 times)

Offline SheilaM

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hannay/Milwain, Wigtown
« on: Thursday 01 September 05 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have just traced my gggg grandparents back to Scotland and am hoping someone can help me trace their marriage to establish who their parents were.

The information I have is:

ANDREW HANNAY b about 1780 married MARGARET MILWAIN b about 1784 both Wigtown, Wigtownshire.

Known children are:

WILLIAM HANNAY b about 25 July 1806 and GRACE HANNAY b about 21 April 1808 again both born Wigtown.

GRACE HANNAY married JAMES THOMPSON b about 1805 Scotland (hopefully Wigtown).  Their first child James was born Leeds 1825.

Any help in tracing the marriage of Andrew and Margaret or Grace and James from parish records would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sheila

LANCS Rochdale: Sanderson, Burke. Crompton/Shaw: Robinson, Walkden, Swann<br />Oldham: Sandiford, Mitchell<br />STAFFS Willenhall/Cheslyn Hay: Stokes, Broom<br />SOMERSET: Bath:  Broom/Hawkins/Plowman/Roberts/West<br />YORKS: Gibson, Helliwell<br />IRELAND: Burke, Holmes<br />USA/Canada: Sanderson<br />WILTSHIRE: Hawkins<br /><br />All census information is Crown Copyright

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hannay/Milwain, Wigtown
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 November 05 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sheila,

Have a look at The Wigtownshire Pages

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~leighann/index.html

where incidentally the owner is Wayne Hannay

regards,

Lindsay
MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline SheilaM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 05 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindsay

Thanks for the Wigtownshire link, looks very interesting, I'm sure I'll spend lots of time on the site.

Regards

Sheila
LANCS Rochdale: Sanderson, Burke. Crompton/Shaw: Robinson, Walkden, Swann<br />Oldham: Sandiford, Mitchell<br />STAFFS Willenhall/Cheslyn Hay: Stokes, Broom<br />SOMERSET: Bath:  Broom/Hawkins/Plowman/Roberts/West<br />YORKS: Gibson, Helliwell<br />IRELAND: Burke, Holmes<br />USA/Canada: Sanderson<br />WILTSHIRE: Hawkins<br /><br />All census information is Crown Copyright

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 November 05 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention that my 4G Aunt, Sarah Hewitt married a Hugh Hannay, 30 Aug 1853 in Stoneykirk, Wigton. He was a Farmer at a place called Auchenloy, Stoneykirk.

His 1882 death certificate gives his age as 83 which is consistent with the 1881 census. His parents are shown as Hugh HannaH and Catherine McKie and his name is also spelt HannaH on the death cert.  His son, also Hugh b. 1855, who registered the death signs his name Hugh HannaH.  Hugh's 1855 birth certificate, however shows his name as HannaY and his father Hugh the elder who registered the birth also spells it HannaY. 1881 census has Hugh the father spelt with a Y and Hugh the son elsewhere spelt with an H. In 1891 Hugh the son is also HannaY but his death cert is HannaH.

Not trying to bore you to death with all these inconsistencies  :), just mention it in case Hannay is one of those names that can be spelt either way - I don't know - and it may give you a clue if you get stuck.

regards,

Lindsay
MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline SheilaM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 November 05 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hiagain Lindsay

Thanks for the info.  Actually I had put this to one side as I hadn't had a reply but will be on the case again now.

If I come across any of your names I will get in touch with you.

Thanks once again.

Sheila

Offline Rict

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 09:45 BST (UK) »
hi Sheila,
Reference your 2005 post re Hannay/Milwain I beleive that the James Thompson that Grace married may be my GGGgrandfather. I've had trouble finding info on Grace as my records show Hannay spelt Hannah. I noted response to your post from Lindsay. There are some discrepencies. I have the wedding in Leeds in 1827. Their children were as follows Catherine Grace 1831, Margaret 1832, JAMES 1837, John 1839, Robert 1841, David 1846, Helen Jane 1848 & William Henry 1850(my GGgrandfather) Ther address in Leeds was 8 Newton Terrace
If you get this message I'd appreciate your thoughts. I've hit a brickwall with James parents but if these are the same people that will be a help. I'm also looking for current descendents in Uk,Sth africa & USA. I'm in Australia. William Henry brought his family out here in 1885. Ilok forward to hearing from you

Regards Ric

Offline PLH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 February 12 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Ric and Shelia,
Do either of you have an Alexander for a sibling of Grace and William.  Also do you have a death date for Andrew? 
Thanks.
PLH

Offline Rict

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi PLH

Unfortunately the answer is no and no

Regards

Ric

Offline PLH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 February 12 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Ric,
Thanks for the reply.  I'll keep digging.
PLH