Author Topic: Marriage details between Kate Rowan and Samuel Burguyne  (Read 556 times)

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marriage details between Kate Rowan and Samuel Burguyne
« on: Saturday 27 November 21 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone got access to St Mary's R.C Church at Shifnal and if so could they possibly do a lookup on Kate [Catherine] Rowan and Samuel Burguyne[ Bougoyne].They married Shifnal Reg in the third quarter of 1886.Samuel was from Albrighton I think .Require details on the marriage cert please.

Many thanks
Dotty
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage details between Kate Rowan and Samuel Burguyne
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 November 21 19:40 GMT (UK) »
1891 census confirms that birthplace - BY 1863 

On the 1871 as Burgwon aged 10 - parents John & Martha

Suspect this is Catherine's birth reg

Births Mar 1864 
ROHAN    Catherine         Shiffnal    6a   645  mmn Kelley per GRO online

1871 reference  Piece 2746 Folio 136  Page 3  - originally shown as Roan

Brother Peter's birth reg

Births Jun 1853   
ROHAN    Peter  Shiffnal    6a   544
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 November 21 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carole this is the mystery I am trying to solve
Facts I know are definite
Winifred Rowan married  Henry Bowling in Chorley around 1907.Records show she was born Shifnal .The family connection with Shifnal is correct .According to 1939 Winifred was born 16/11/1884.Winfred's marriage cert reveals no father named
A definite fact her mother was Catherine[ sometimes shown as Kate] Rowan .She married Samuel Bowling in the 3rd qtr 1886
I then looked on the England Roman Catholic records and found a baptism  at Wolverhampton St Mary's and St John's for Winifred and thought I had cracked it when it showed born 16/11/1884 baptised 31/12/1884 daughter of Jacubus and Mariea Rowan but shows maiden name as Rowan.The two birthdates  recorded are identical but who are James and Mary nee Callaghan] with this I thought grandparents so then looked for a baptism for Catherine and found Catherine daughter of a James and Mary baptised at the same church but her birthdate  4/5/1868  doesn't match the 1939 which states 6/3/1864 so who is her father.At the beginning everything pointed to her being the daughter of John and Winifred Rhoan but now the James and Mary may be her parents and I was hoping someone may have had access to the marriage records of Catherine and Samuel.Sorry to longwinded and thanks for your interest.
Dotty
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 November 21 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Carole it should have read Catherine married Samuel Burgoyne not Bowling

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 November 21 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Is this thread connected to those families?
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=855494.0
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 November 21 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes Heywood.It appears that John Charles Rowan  lived with Catherine and Samuel and was described  as nephew they were living in Shifnal.Still not sorted that issue out yet.

Dotty

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 January 22 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning
I'm getting confused here.
So you have the christening for Winifred Rowan at Wolverhampton in 1884 with the right birth date parents James and Catherine nee Rowan.
So that's right. The godmother is a Maria Darcy?

So no James and Mary Callaghan there ,so far as I can see.
There is a christening for a Catherine Rowan parents James and Mary nee Callaghan in 1868 at St Patrick Wolverhampton but that woman goes on to marry Henry Monger 21.4.1889 at Christ Church ,father James of Lower Stafford St.Right age ,right father ,right place so not the same woman who is living in Shifnal with Samuel Burguyne .

Winifred is with Samuel Burgoyne and Kate on the 1891 census as their child .
So really James and Mary Rowan /Callaghan  have nothing to do with it and can be discounted.Kate can't be married to two men and in two places at a time.

Which gets us back to Kate Rowan born in Shifnal to John and Winifred Rowen .
Am I missing something?

There is a marriage John Rhoan and Winifred Kelley June 1853 Madeley  and I'd be following that up and accept Kate as their daughter.

Again sorry if I'm missing something but it just seems you've already cracked it .Everything fits lovely. :)

ps Helen Rowan died Sep qtr 1893 Shifnal age 32 years.

Ciderdrinker

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 January 22 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Message from Dotty sent to me in error.

Thanks for your reply .In my post I said that Catherine married Samuel Bowling it should have read Samuel Burgoyne.I still can't relate who James and Mary were.The couple who took Winifred to be baptized.Two certificates have now been received.The marriage certificate of Catherine stating that her father was a John and a Peter Rowan was a witness.No father named on Winifred's marriage cert.
It would appear that there are Two John and Winifred s that may fit the bill.Also two different maiden names on some baptism records for mother Winifred-Kelly and Welch to add to the confusion.

Dotty
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk