Author Topic: THEUNIS CHRISTOFFEL ROUX b.1913 d. 1943 from Fort Victoria, Southern Rhodesia  (Read 965 times)

Offline jives11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greetings, I'm helping an amateur history group in Brittany research the crew of a wartime bomber , that crashed in January 1943.

http://www.absa3945.com/Pertes%20Bretagne/Morbihan/29%20Janvier%201943/Halifax%20HR662.htm

I'm trying to trace photos of the crew and so far have been successful finding 6 of the 7 men, using family history methods to trace living descendents . The RAF didn't take photographs of their personnel, so the only ones are those taken for families , and often still treasured.

The remaining crew member I need to trace is the Pilot,

Pilot Officer (Pilot). ROUX, THEUNIS CHRISTOFFEL, 29 years old. 408 (R.C.A.F.) Sqdn.  Son of Jacobus Francois and Elizabeth Maria Roux, of Fort Victoria, Southern Rhodesia. LL.B. (Stellenbosch, S.A.).

BIRTH 25 DECEMBER 1913 • Fort Victoria (Masvingo), Midlands, South Rhodesia

DEATH 29 JAN 1943 • France

Siblings
Elizabeth Maria Roux
1912–

Johanna Jacoba Roux
1916–1922

Wilhelmina Maria Roux
1921–

Juliana Roux
1924–

Jacobus Francois Roux
1927–

If anyone here has any connection with this family, and might have a photograph of Pilot Officer Roux that could be scanned or digitised, I'd be very interested to hear from you.

Best wishes

Jonathan

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline jives11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: THEUNIS CHRISTOFFEL ROUX b.1913 d. 1943 from Fort Victoria, Southern Rhodesia
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I will see if I can contact the original poster. Much appreciated

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: THEUNIS CHRISTOFFEL ROUX b.1913 d. 1943 from Fort Victoria, Southern Rhodesia
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 December 21 21:30 GMT (UK) »
I was given this link which includes 35 squadron of which TC Roux is in. Unfortunately the pilots are not named in the photo https://35squadron.wordpress.com/2018/11/02/1942-officers-and-airmen/?fbclid=IwAR1kIeNBEAnWXMK5UVHmYKsTXpN5ibrFKU5yZjOwH8xUaTSFHJxJY2FNRMU
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 December 21 04:58 GMT (UK) »
His estate is located in Cape Town http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm30ddf0?202112100650189BACB868&DN=00000001, someone may be able to download a copy for you. This may be him at the back with his family and parents. Not sure if he was married when he died.

Offline jives11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 December 21 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for both of these. I did know that he had flown with 35 Squadron before flying 20+ missions with 408 squadron, he was an experienced pilot. The photograph is wonderful and , to be honest I was not hopeful of finding one without direct family contact. Thank you again

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 December 21 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Jives11 any chance you could share the info when finished with me so I can pass it on to the family. I am interested to know where the plane was flying when I assume it was shot down.

Offline jives11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 December 21 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for finding this, I certainly will, I have pm's you.

The site where the picture will be added is here. Its a work in progress so more detail will be added as we progress, but now we have photos of all seven crew, which is unusual and a first in the 50 or so similar projects I have worked on since 2008

http://www.absa3945.com/Pertes%20Bretagne/Morbihan/pertes_raf_morbihan.htm

http://www.absa3945.com/Pertes%20Bretagne/Morbihan/29%20Janvier%201943/Halifax%20HR662.htm

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 December 21 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you