Author Topic: Tatworth home of P.C. George Higgins  (Read 844 times)

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tatworth home of P.C. George Higgins
« on: Saturday 27 November 21 21:50 GMT (UK) »
George Higgins brought uo his family in Tatworth. In 1886 he left the village after serving as a police constable for 21 years to take up in Curry Rivel. A 1871 census mentions they lived in Tatworth Street, Tatworth. In Oct 1880 there are a couple of newspaper reports that P.C. Higgins raised the alarm when Mr Denning's bakehouse next door caught on fire. Although his neighbour's bakehouse was destroYed the house was saved. Any help finding George's house (possibly a policehouse) would be much appreciated.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Tatworth home of P.C. George Higgins
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 November 21 23:21 GMT (UK) »
What’s his address on the 1881 census - any house number or street given?  Does it say on either the 1871 or 1881 that it was an actual police house - many policemen just lived in everyday accommodation

You could contact the local FH society for the area who may have more detailed info
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 November 21 02:53 GMT (UK) »
There aren’t many landmarks marked on this map unfortunately:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16.98289046235076&lat=50.84932&lon=-2.95524&layers=178&right=ESRIWorld
but if you follow the enumerator’s route on the census you might be able to get a rough idea where his house was. No police house or other village type establishments marked, though there is a capital letter “P” which may be significant.

Mention of the location next to a bakery is a good clue, so I think looking at the neighbours on the census should help you.

Have a look down Tatworth Street on Google street view. There are a number of new builds but quite a lot of old houses, some of which look like farm houses with yards, so can probably be ruled out. Compare the houses on the side by side map with Google street view houses.

Added. I can’t seem to copy and paste the location, but I wonder if it might be one of the houses in the small row with the thatched roofs. I’ve tried to align it with the P in the old map. As I went down Tatworth Street, this was one of the places I thought looked promising, as it was old yet had some open area at the front which you might expect from an old row of shops or a police station etc. Just a wild guess of course.  :)

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 November 21 11:33 GMT (UK) »
As always thank you for taking so much trouble to help. The only ref  from memory in the 1871 census states Tatworth Street. Census returns show him as a policeman living in Tatworth and newspaper articles cover P.C. Higgins pretty well and mention he is from Tatworth.
The map was so useful as it shows the properties around at that time. I have walked the street in the past not realizing it was where George lived. There are a couple of p's on the map so I believe it might refer to something else. There are a couple of outbuildings and one may be the bakehouse. I had done an initial search from the 1881 census (closes to the fire) and there seems to be a couple of Denning families but no house or street name give. One is a cattle dealer and one a farmer. There is a close by farm but no obvious mention of a bakery. I'll keep searching but again I am extremely thankful for your time and effort to help me.  Thanks  Mark

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 November 21 13:30 GMT (UK) »
The baker living next door in the 1881 census is Austin Rickets.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 November 21 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. No doubt the Denning mentioned is the owner of the property and you are quite right that Rickets who is a baker lives next door. Thank you so much for the info and helping narrowing down the property. Unfortunately the properties are not numbered or have house names. Thanks  Mark

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 November 21 23:12 GMT (UK) »
The 1871 is a bit more helpful, with names of some places appearing on the map,  but George’s address is vaguely “Tatworth Street”. It is a shame because the house is likely still standing.

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 November 21 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes, so frustrating. I have sent a message to the village site and asked if they would share info. I even looked at police sites just to see if that might throw up something, but I don't think there is any real chance the police records will show. I think villages at that time would not identify cottages but fingers crossed that perhaps a current family still live in their cottage and it might allow me to work out the position of tennants. Perhaps the damaged bakehouse survives or at least a clue where the bakery was. I think though I may have to hand deliver to every old house in the street information and ask if they have any knowledge.
Thank you for your help.  Mark

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 November 21 09:43 GMT (UK) »
"TATWORTH in the Parish of CHARD, Desirable Freehold Dwelling-house, Front Shop, Bake-house and Garden, in the occupation of Mr. Mullett, together with the Thatched Cottage and excellent garden adjoining situate in Tatworth Street."

Chard and Ilminster News, 19 July 1902
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk