Author Topic: Obit/death certificate James Johnston, Apr 5, 1880 Ridgetown, Ontario  (Read 734 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Obit/death certificate James Johnston, Apr 5, 1880 Ridgetown, Ontario
« on: Monday 29 November 21 00:17 GMT (UK) »
James Johnston married Mary Garvin in Ireland in 1841. They had at least 10 children before emigrating to Canada in 1867. My problem is the names of his parents. I previously had James Johnston and Rachel Catherwood. I have just found an online tree which had John Johnston and Mary Reid. I have the date of death from findagrave (although I previously had March instead of April) but there is no indication of his parents names. I thought a death certificate might clarify that.
The first son was named Stephen after her father so thinking the next son, James, might be after his father. There is no John in the children's names although there is a William John. The other discrepancy is that James and Rachel were married in 1814 and James was reportedly born either 1811 or 1812, unless his dob is incorrect.
Can anyone find the death certificate for James?
Thank you
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Obit/death certificate James Johnston, Apr 5, 1880 Ridgetown, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 November 21 11:21 GMT (UK) »
The date is back to March, not April, but I think this is probably his death record in Kent Co:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9YV-49H3-5?i=1314&cc=1307826&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AJDGB-GZD

Unfortunately as you can see, in 1880 there was little personal information given.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 November 21 12:05 GMT (UK) »
That is the correct person. Thank you. Age 66 so born 1813 or 1814.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 November 21 16:13 GMT (UK) »
One of the youngest children, an unnamed girl, was born in 1865 to the couple who were residing in Tamnadeese, Magherfelt.  Griffiths Valuation taken around the same time shows James Johnson in Tamnadeese, sharing land with a Macklin Johnson, living next door to a William John Garvan.   There is also a William Johnson and Stephan Garvan in the townland but with different landlords.

http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/z/zoomifyDynamicViewer.php?file=179327&path=./pix/179/&rs=20&showpage=1&mysession=2788220112062&width=&height=

Have you done any research regarding Macklin?  He seems to have followed his brother to America settling in New York, dying in 1901.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 November 21 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi eileenwilson,
That would be Barbara born 1865. I do have William John Garvin/Garvan on my tree, brother to Mary who married James Johnston. They had a father Stephen and a brother Stephen. The father was proprietor of the Dawson Arms Hotel in Castledawson. Mary also had brother James Sufferin Garvin who had a son Stephen in 1855. I wonder if William Johnston and Macklin are brothers of James Johnston.  I am trying to confirm who James Johnston, Jr.'s parents were, but there are none listed on his marriage record or his death record.
You are definitely in the right place with the right people. I have not done any research on Macklin.
I have just noticed that Sarah Garvin married a William Johnston and they also went to Huron Co., Ontario where William died in 1903 and Sarah died Aug 3, 1898. Wonder if their obits/death records would help with this family, especially an obit listing William's siblings.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 November 21 16:38 GMT (UK) »
The Dave Bradley site has James Johnston's father as John. There is an online tree that has John Johnston and Mary Reid. Another tree has parents as James Johnston and Rachel Catherwoodl.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 November 21 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, Ontario did not begin to name parents on death certificates until 1909 so William's death record does not provide that info. It indicates he was an ex-hotelkeeper aged 80.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 November 21 17:31 GMT (UK) »
If William was a hotelkeeper, perhaps there was an obituary meaning siblings and other important info

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 November 21 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Possible. You should contact the Huron County Library:
https://www.huroncounty.ca/library/

William is in Wroxeter as a hotelkeeper as early as 1867 (see page 581):

https://books.google.ca/books?id=z6wOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA266&lpg=PA266&dq=johnston+hotel+wroxeter&source=bl&ots=WMwn6oQi38&sig=ACfU3U24FMO1cpPfsfK-Y-EiD_cqUwo98Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiK28mZkL70AhWukHIEHYlWDSwQ6AF6BAghEAM#v=onepage&q=johnston%20hotel%20wroxeter&f=false

I believe he is also there by the time of the 1861 Census -- seems he and Sarah never had any children.