Author Topic: Salmons of county mayo  (Read 1162 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Salmons of county mayo
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 November 21 20:29 GMT (UK) »
It could be that Thomas was left off.
I was going more by the birthplace County Sligo and father Peter, a Baker.

I can’t though spot deaths for Peter and Mary.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moiramount

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 November 21 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much, I'm away for two days from tomorrow so I will have another look when I get back.

Moira
mounts/kent
rice/boteler-west ham essex
grigor/sutherland/davidson-scotland
widdowson-derbyshire/yorkshire

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Here you are. This could be him
John Salmon b 1875 Sligo with father Peter, a Baker
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1875/03088/2131880.pdf

/quote]

Notice that residence of his father was England.
When birth of Bridget, John's sister was registered in Tobercurry in 1872, her father's address was Westport, Mayo. Informant was John Walker, occupier, Cauraune. Mary Anne was registered in Tobercurry,  1871
Other Salmon births of note in Tobercurry were Peter 1866, Tobercurry workhouse, parents Patrick & Rose Anne (COGAN), father's occupation baker and Patrick 1871, parents Patrick & Rosemary (?), father's occupation baker.

The marriage of Peter Salmon, Baker,  and Mary Walker in 1870
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11387/8180973.pdf

Peter’s residence Tobercurry and Mary’s, Caraune/Carraun which is the residence for John’s birth.

Peter's father was Peter, occupation baker.
A Peter Salmon, baker, aged 67 died 1876 at Westport workhouse.

I couldn't see any Salmon households in County Sligo on 1901 census but there were some in Mayo.

Cowban

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Oh thanks Maiden Stone.
I had noted the residences and thought he might have been around in England but couldn’t spot anything.
I have also seen some  Pat and Rose/Rosannah records - deaths I think in the workhouse but wondered if Peter and Pat were brothers.
I don’t think the parish records are early enough for a baptism for Peter but at least we know that his father was also Peter and a Baker too.
Do you think that could be Peter’s father’s death in the Workhouse. He is married.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1876/020573/7218991.pdf
I looked for Bridget Ann Salmon but can’t see her either.

There are Walkers in Carraun in 1901.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 14:05 GMT (UK) »

I had noted the residences and thought he might have been around in England but couldn’t spot anything.
I have also seen some  Pat and Rose/Rosannah records - deaths I think in the workhouse but wondered if Peter and Pat were brothers.
I don’t think the parish records are early enough for a baptism for Peter but at least we know that his father was also Peter and a Baker too.
Do you think that could be Peter’s father’s death in the Workhouse. He is married.

My guess is that Peter, Pat and the elder Peter were related. Pat & Rose must have married pre 1864; I couldn't see a marriage registration.
I think John 1875 was Peter & Mary's last child born in Tobercurry. 
There were many Salmon birth registrations in Westport. I didn't look through them all, too many. I noticed another Salmon father had a shop in Westport.
I looked at a few census entries for Salmon in Lancashire and Cheshire. There were some from Sligo and Mayo, including Westport. Variant spellings include Sammon and Salemon.
If the Salmon bakers had a family business there may be an entry in a Thom's Directory. Their speciality should have been salmon en croute.  ;D
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Is this him?
1901 3571 /70/28
Ashton in Makerfield
John Salmon 21 yrs b Sligo, Ireland
Bridget’s birthplace has been dittoed

I hoped they might have been more specific on 1911 census but no, just "Ireland". They were in  Bolton by 1911.
Cowban

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 16:22 GMT (UK) »
The Patrick Salmon I thought might be the brother - died as a Pauper in the Workhouse and no trade or townland shown  :-\
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1872/020723/7271068.pdf

I think Moira said that Peter was a journeyman baker on John’s marriage. This implies no business of his own.

The difficulty when searching the name is that all results are about the fish.

Offline moiramount

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 20:27 GMT (UK) »
My partner said his family were very poor in Ireland at the time and that's why John came over to the UK.
mounts/kent
rice/boteler-west ham essex
grigor/sutherland/davidson-scotland
widdowson-derbyshire/yorkshire

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 23:52 GMT (UK) »

A Peter Salmon was baptised 1849 in Aughaval parish, Mayo, Tuam Diocese. Variant names of the parish include Westport. I can't see it, the register is untidy.
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/1043
Another Peter Salmon baptism 1847 in Aughatower, 5 miles from Westport and adjacent parish to Aughaval.
A Peter Salmon married Mary  Riely in Aughaval parish, 26th Feb. 1838. Residence Glanavies? It was one of 10 weddings that day, including another Mary Reilly and 2 men named Richard Geraghty + 2 Morans. There were multiple weddings the previous day and the day after because Lent began that week.
I couldn't find an appropriate baptism for Pat Salmon. 2 weddings in Aughaval but wives were Mary Gill and Bridget ____ , not Rose/Roseanne/Rosemary.
No baptisms in Sligo but as you say, perhaps due to surviving registers being too late.
Cowban