Author Topic: J Hasson dorking  (Read 523 times)

Offline recorder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
J Hasson dorking
« on: Tuesday 30 November 21 15:59 GMT (UK) »

Mr J Hasson painted a picture in 1825 showing a meeting house in Dorking. I can find no reference to him anywhere.  Does anyone know who he was?  Any info would be most welcome.

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: J Hasson dorking
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 19:36 GMT (UK) »
What is your source for "J. Hasson", please?

Are you sure it isn't John Hassell?  He is the artist who painted a number of Surrey churches, especially in watercolour.

Offline recorder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Watson  thanks for your speedy and very interesting reply.  I will write again soon.

Offline recorder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Watson - |I am researching a photograph of a painting. Even with a magnifying glass I cannot see a signature on the black and white photograph. The picture has a  note of what it is - 'West Street Independent Meeting House Dorking 1719 to 1836 Painted by J Hasson 1825'  which is only 2 years before Hassell's death age 60. On a separate sheet of paper it says 'the congregational church'. Having looked at the websites for Hassell I am confident that Hassell was indeed the artist, It may be because of his age it was never 100% finished; it certainly rather plain for a skilled artist. Are you able to point me a website that would list all his paintings.

Recorder

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 16:18 GMT (UK) »
A useful website is Exploring Surrey's Past:

https://www.exploringsurreyspast.org.uk/themes/people/artists/john_hassell/

It seems to note many of Hassell's paintings, but I don't know if it mentions them all.  It includes an A - Z of his watercolours which are available to view on the site.

You could also try the Surrey History Centre collections.

Another possibility is the Heinz Archive, which is a part of The National Portrait Gallery, Orchard Street, London.  They may have an artist file on Hassell.  You could try e-mailing the Senior Archivist there and asking if they would be prepared to look for you.  Or you could visit them and make a search yourself.

Offline recorder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Watson  -  apologies for late acknowledgment of your last post. Problems of old age I fear.  Thanks for your suggestions which I have passed to my daughter whose project this is.

Recorder.