Author Topic: Michael MALONEY  (Read 2942 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael MALONEY
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 December 21 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Were you aware that the author of the enormous family tree at the link you have posted -

https://www.bellsite.id.au/gdbtree/HTMLFiles/HTMLFiles_108/P17072.html

asserts Susan KILMARTIN was born in USA. I do not see a source noted as support for this.

Her parents were Frank and Margaret according to the marriage record.

You perhaps should post your query on the USA board too.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 December 21 06:48 GMT (UK) »
There is an immigration record of possible interest.

Arrival
1871   New York City, New York, United States   
Susan KILMARTIN
Female born 1851 in   Ireland
Aged 20. Spinster.   
Ship   Jenny

Traveling steerage.

Oddly, the entry above hers  is a man surnamed MOLLONEY (Tim) aged 19
And the  one below hers is also surnamed MOLONEY  (Jno) aged 27

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bkr188

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 December 21 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your information.  I am always astounded by the generosity and knowledge of the rootschat group.  Wivenhoe, I found the birthplace of Michael Maloney from family communications and  documents written in association newsletters such as Tibbinbilla Pioneers Association and family communications.  I have not found absolute primary evidence, such as official documents (birth certificates etc.) thus the reason for saying "Possibly Currafin". Michael Maloney and Susan Kilmartin are my Gt. Grandparents.  I have comprehensive information about their children and granchildren and nothing about their ancestors, siblings, or parents so far.
Kent: Plane/Playne/Plain, Brakefield, Oliver, Wells, Mainwaring/Manwaring, Martin, Bishop, Mills, Richardson, Wenman, Holdstock
Bethnall Green: Oliver
London:  Smith,  Nickolay, Blackmore.
Canada: Terry
Switzerland: Kneuss, Bergernat
Goudhurst: Martin
Tipperary Ireland: Woods, Fisher,
County Clare Ireland: Maloney, Whalan, Kilmartin

Offline bkr188

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 December 21 15:04 GMT (UK) »

When working with Irish parish records one has to be prepared for many variations in spelling of certain surnames.  New arrivals, many of whom were illiterate, would provide their details by word of mouth, and shipping clerks then recorded these as they  interpreted them. Hence we have Currafin for Corofin etc.

I think Michael could well have been illiterate as he most likely was an agricultural labourer.  The name Currafin has been used for all the Australian writings I have seen regarding said Michael.  This includes his death and burial notices, obituary in various newspapers, and historical documents held at the National Library.  Do you know if it was written formally as Currafin at any time?  Just wanting to know before I go about correcting the name.  Thank you for alluding me to this.  Much appreciated.

Kent: Plane/Playne/Plain, Brakefield, Oliver, Wells, Mainwaring/Manwaring, Martin, Bishop, Mills, Richardson, Wenman, Holdstock

Offline knocnapog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 December 21 22:03 GMT (UK) »

When working with Irish parish records one has to be prepared for many variations in spelling of certain surnames.  New arrivals, many of whom were illiterate, would provide their details by word of mouth, and shipping clerks then recorded these as they  interpreted them. Hence we have Currafin for Corofin etc.

I think Michael could well have been illiterate as he most likely was an agricultural labourer.  The name Currafin has been used for all the Australian writings I have seen regarding said Michael.  This includes his death and burial notices, obituary in various newspapers, and historical documents held at the National Library.  Do you know if it was written formally as Currafin at any time?  Just wanting to know before I go about correcting the name.  Thank you for alluding me to this.  Much appreciated.

I should refer you to the Corofin information page on the Clare Library website which gives the derivation of the name.
https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/places/corofin_history.htm

Several of the references at the top of the page give alternative spellings of the name, including Currofin.
Rather than "correcting" your various sources I would make note of the alternative spellings.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 December 21 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I found the birthplace of Michael Maloney from family communications and  documents written in association newsletters such as Tibbinbilla Pioneers Association and family communications.  I have not found absolute primary evidence, such as official documents (birth certificates etc.) thus the reason for saying "Possibly Currafin".

Civil registration of births began in Ireland in 1864 so Michael was born too soon for a birth certificate. 
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 December 21 12:57 GMT (UK) »

"There is a baptism record for Michael Molony, parents John Molony and Mary Whealon, Sponsors Conor Morony, Bridget Roughan 24 Aug 1850"

Thank you for this.  I am wondering about the spelling.  Would this be the way the Irish spelt those surnames or a direct interpretation from the original document?  The writing on the document is rather difficult to decipher. 

When working with Irish parish records one has to be prepared for many variations in spelling of certain surnames. A parish may have two or even three priests, each with his own preference of the way some family names were spelt.

"Con Morony" sponsor may be Molony with ink of letter l faded. (Only a suggestion.)
Notice spelling Whelan of a sponsor at a baptism in September, lower down same page.
Cowban

Offline bkr188

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 December 21 04:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your help :) Have heeded your suggestions and found many of the pieces of information vary the spelling of Proper nouns.  This has at least given a few new clues regarding some of the ancestors.