Author Topic: Apparently missing death records  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Apparently missing death records
« on: Thursday 02 December 21 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I've been going through assorted information and looking up the deaths in the NZ online indexes to make sure I have all the references, but I am very puzzled by one or two where I have convincing evidence of a death date but can't find a record in the index.

For example, Helen Roy, born 20 July 1851 in Geelong, Australia, wife of William Murray, died at Invercargill on 26 September 1932 and was buried in the Eastern Cemetery, Invercargill, on 28 September according to the burial records. There's also a gravestone. But no listing of a Helen Murray in 1932 in the deaths index.

Or Kenneth James Stirling, who according to newspaper reports was killed in an accident in Kopuku Coal mine on 12 October 1972, aged 43 so presumably born about 1929, and whose ashes were buried in Huntly Old Lawn Cemetery according to the burial records. But no listing of a death of Kenneth James Stirling in 1972 in the deaths index.

There are others but these will do to be going on with. I find it very frustrating that I can't search using wildcards in case the name has been misspelled in the index, and that I can't get round this by searching without a surname. 

Does anyone have any search tips that I could use to hunt out these and other death references that are proving hard to find?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Apparently missing death records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 December 21 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Possibly the reason you can't find the 1972 one is that falls outside the range on the database - it says it contains deaths which occurred at least 50 years ago or the deceased's birthdate was at least 80 years ago.

Though if he was born in 1929 he should be in there I suppose, but maybe it was an oversight

Boo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 December 21 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Boo, I did consider that but he was born over 90 years ago now so he should be there.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 December 21 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

The death registration for Helen MURRAY is available on the ancestry website under All New Zealand Deaths 1848-1966.

If you are wanting to purchase the death record (select "printout" rather than a certificate, as it gives the maximum amount of information available) then contact NZ BDM advising them of the source (ancestry ... All NZ Deaths etc.) and quote the following additional info > Death: 3 quarter - Registered at Invercargill, Southland NZ - Folio # 3070:

Link to NZ BDM  >

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 December 21 02:48 GMT (UK) »

Or Kenneth James Stirling, who according to newspaper reports was killed in an accident in Kopuku Coal mine on 12 October 1972, aged 43 so presumably born about 1929, and whose ashes were buried in Huntly Old Lawn Cemetery according to the burial records. But no listing of a death of Kenneth James Stirling in 1972 in the deaths index.

Hi again

Sorry, can't help you further with this one, but would suggest you enquire via email to NZ BDM, supplying the details you already have, and ask them to search their records.

We of course share your frustration with the manner in which the NZ BDM online facility is set up ... lacking a "wild card" search and having at times to resort to trying alternative spellings of names.   ;)      ( It does though serve to "sharpen" our research skills. )

In case you haven't already found it, the Probate file (containing Will) of Kenneth James STIRLING,  is available at this link  >   

https://ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE54516217

~   Lu

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 December 21 02:52 GMT (UK) »
It is probably this one.

1932/11220
Mirrail, Helen
81Y

The following man also died 26 Sep at Invercargill, so searching by changing the reg. number either side, it is the only one that fits.

1932/11218
Rout, Graham Francis
21Y

Debra  :D

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 December 21 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much indeed, Lucy2 and Dundee.

First of all, I'm pleased to know that I am not missing some clever search tip. I have tried some spelling variations for both of these (and a couple of dozen other similar ones) but I'd never have thought of Mirrail for Murray! I will drop NZ BDM a line to suggest they review the index.

I don't particularly need a printout for all of them (at £12.80 a time it would cost me several fortunes :) ) but thank you for the advice about ordering printouts rather than certificates.

I hadn't really got round to looking for probate records as yet, so thank you for that link.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Further to reply #4 wherein the link is provided to the probated will of Kenneth James Stirling; an affidavit states he died in an ambulance between Maramarua & Thames.

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 05:57 GMT (UK) »
You probably have these details-

Marriage in Victoria-
MURRAY
William
Marriage
ROY, Helen
3433/1878

I wondered if these may be their children?

MURRAY
Jessie Edith Isabel
Birth
<Unknown Family Name>, Helen
ROY
<Unknown Family Name>, William
GEEL
16934/1883

MURRAY
Fanny Elizabeth
Birth
<Unknown Family Name>, Helen
ROY
<Unknown Family Name>, MURRAY William
CHILWELL
56433/1881

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.