Author Topic: WHITE Ancestry - London and Surrey  (Read 455 times)

Offline Carl42

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WHITE Ancestry - London and Surrey
« on: Friday 03 December 21 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi all - I am floundering and on the verge of requesting professional help, has anyone any recommendations, please?
I have followed my paternal line back to Thomas White who was for decades the licensee at the Artichoke on Newington Causeway, leading up to his death there on 23 Jul 1850 (born in 12 months prior to 23 Jul 1783?).  Thomas and Susannah Vanderkiste married at St Mary Abbott, Kensington on 11 May 1814. 
Thomas had an elder brother John who was a licensee in Hampton, Middlesex and later in New Windsor where he was buried on 25 May 1838 (born in the 12 months prior to 25 May 1774?).  John and Charlotte Ansell married at St Mary’s, Lambeth on 24 May 1802.
I have much information from there down the line to the present day. The big question is: who were the parents of John and Thomas WHITE?
WHITE is a common surname, bmd records are everywhere, and so desperate times call for desperate measures, even amateurish ones.  In desperation I wondered if ‘like father, like son’ John and Thomas’s father was also a licensee, who possibly retained his license for several decades.  A visit to the LMA revealed to me that licensees who retained their license for long periods were quite uncommon.  One record stands out to me, William WHITE who was licensee at the Swan at Stockwell  1792 to 1804, possibly earlier but at the time of my visit earlier records were ‘at risk’ and not available to the public.  Perhaps tellingly Susannah Vanderkiste stated in 1851 that she had been born in Stockwell and there are many Vanderkiste records around Stockwell about that time.  Susannah’s father was a physician who disappeared from the records when Susannah was about 12 years old and it was at that young age that she gave birth to an illegitimate child, William Samuel WHITE.  He stated, at the time of his adult baptism at St Mary’s, Newington on 26 Feb 1823, that he was born on 19 Jul 1802 to parents Thomas and Susannah WHITE.
Back to the big question: who were the parents of John and Thomas WHITE?
Two records, amongst the many, have some appeal.  The marriage of William WHITE of Cripplegate, London and Sarah Carter of St Saviour, Southwark at St Giles without Cripplegate, on 3 Apr 1771.  The second record is of the baptism of John WHITE on 12 Sep 1773 at St Nicholas’ in Great Bookham.  His parents were William and Sarah WHITE.  I have not found a baptismal record for Thomas associated with a William and Sarah WHITE, perhaps William had remarried between the birth of the brothers?
In previous searches I have found records of milling machinery manufacturers (flour milling?) with premises in Cripplegate and home(s) around Camberwell in Surrey.
As you see I have some messy data and I am hoping to find a professional who might be able to tidy things up a bit.  I live in Cheshire and current virus concerns prevent me from further visits to the LMA. Meanwhile, the very best regards to you all.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WHITE Ancestry - London and Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 December 21 12:55 GMT (UK) »
his death there on 23 Jul 1850 (born in 12 months prior to 23 Jul 1783?)

Per the burial register he was in his 67th year, so must have had his 66th birthday between 23 July 1849 and 22 July 1850. Hence born in the 12 months AFTER 22 July 1783: between 23 July 1783 and 22 July 1784.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carl42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 December 21 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this Shaun.  I have always been unsure which age is correct.  Thomas's age at death was given as 67, whereas his death certificate states 66.  Which should be believed in these days before registration and where a baptismal record cannot be found?  Similarly with Susannah Vanderkiste, her grave gives her birth date as 2 Dec 1789, whereas her birth record clearly shows 2 Dec 1788.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 December 21 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Thomas's age at death was given as 67, whereas his death certificate states 66

The burial register says "in his 67th year" which means he was 66 at his last birthday.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 December 21 17:56 GMT (UK) »
The second record is of the baptism of John WHITE on 12 Sep 1773 at St Nicholas’ in Great Bookham.  His parents were William and Sarah WHITE. 

Burial at Great Bookham for a John White 13 Nov 1773 - register does not give any ages at death  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carl42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 December 21 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shaun -Sorry the penny took longer than it should have to drop!
Thanks Rosie - I must admit that Great Bookham was a bit far out of town, so I am not surprised if this is not my John W.  I am grateful for help from both of you.