Author Topic: 1861 census lookup Riddens, Dalry please  (Read 1438 times)

Offline katerimmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1861 census lookup Riddens, Dalry please
« on: Thursday 01 September 05 23:31 BST (UK) »
Is there anybody who could look up the SLOPER family at Riddens, Dalry in 1861 please?  There should be Simon age approximately 21, wife Christi(a)na also about 21, and baby Simon about 3-4 months old.   Simon senior's occupation should be something like iron miner.  Birthplaces of Simon and Christiana Ireland, County Down.  Birthplace of baby Simon should be Dalry.   I realise that I will probably learn nothing from this but what I already know, but just in case there is something else, for example a town or village name for where Simon and Christiana were born?  Or any relatives living or staying with them?  Thanks very much to anybody who can help.
Kate.
Bristow, Horsleydown; Glasscodine, anywhere; Ferrier, Edinburgh; Lucey, Bermondsey; Horner, Essex; Bowskill, Elkesley; Salter, Great Yarmouth; Vowles, Bedminster/Cardiff; Morgan, Breconshire; Vidgen, New Romney

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census lookup Riddens, Dalry please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 September 05 10:10 BST (UK) »
In 'Irish ancestors' they have SLOPER in the primary evaluation (1848-1864) 2 in Co. Down and 1 in Galway.
On 'Caora' They list just two for surname Sloper, both in County Down, Griffiths Evaluation 1863, but may help in determing a Townland/Parish.

Simon Sloper (same name, could be a coincindence, not your Simon, but could be related) Townland... KILLAGHY
Parish.....DONAGHADEE

Margaret Sloper, Townland...CONLIG VILLAGE.   Parish.....BANGOR

Could be a starting point for you.

Liz
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline katerimmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 September 05 13:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Liz.  I am waiting for Simon and Christiana's marriage certificate to find out their fathers' names, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Simon's father turns out to have been a Simon because it seems to have been very important to him to have a son called Simon.  The baby who should be with them in 1861 must have died, as they had a Simon who died in 1867 aged 4, and there are a few christenings of a Simon with the same parents in between, and they did have a Simon who survived childhood eventually.
Kate.
Bristow, Horsleydown; Glasscodine, anywhere; Ferrier, Edinburgh; Lucey, Bermondsey; Horner, Essex; Bowskill, Elkesley; Salter, Great Yarmouth; Vowles, Bedminster/Cardiff; Morgan, Breconshire; Vidgen, New Romney

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 September 05 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Kate,

There are no sloper's in the 1861, census for the whole of Ayrshire, there is however two by the name Slope, here they are,

Slope Christy, aged 20y, Dalry, born in Ireland,
Slope Simon, aged 3m, Dalry, born in Dalry.

There is no sign of the father Simon, under any surname starting with S. sorry about that.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline katerimmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 October 05 23:37 BST (UK) »
Dear John,
  That has got to be them!  Thanks very much for that.  Interesting to see that "Christy" gives her age as 20.  She said she was 21 when she got married!  But she seems to have a habit of knocking a few years off her age on censuses later on, so I'm not sure which to believe.  Anyway, thanks once again.
Kate.