Author Topic: Somerset man drowned, likely at sea.  (Read 1117 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Somerset man drowned, likely at sea.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 December 21 06:35 GMT (UK) »

At Chalrles' older brother's inquest in May 1889 it mentioned a brother had come from America some 4-5 years earlier to lend him money. "

Why was this noted at an inquest....what relevance?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 December 21 10:02 GMT (UK) »
So - no death recorded in 1889 for his "older brother" whose name you didn't give -  but would be aged 28/29  - parents George & Charlotte

Where did "the older brother" die & where was the inquest?    What documentation gives you the info re "brother from America etc"  Wivenhoe makes a valid point - why would that be relevant at an inquest?

Do you have the right family here??

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 December 21 10:52 GMT (UK) »
I think with inquest reports some of the family background is probably not 100% reliable as info would be mentioned to the police/coroner, but still may have elements of truth. The brother George died in Tredegar after a troubled life.  I have attached a newspaper article of the time linking George to his police father George. Thanks for the thoughts/suggestions.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 December 21 11:12 GMT (UK) »
it mentioned a brother had come from America some 4-5 years earlier to lend him money.

Sorry to ask about this part again but can you show us the part that says this? 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 December 21 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I did read an article, I forget which one, that says his brother visited him four years prior to the incident with some money to help but there was no mention of America, except to say that Bridget Daley's husband disappeared to America.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 December 21 11:45 GMT (UK) »
That George Higgins was 36 so born 1852/3 - not the brother of Charles b 1863 Crewkerne.  Look at the 1871 entry for Charles!!
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 December 21 12:08 GMT (UK) »
George Higgins was born in Bradford Abbas. His father George was a policeman working in the Chard area of Somerset and living at Tatworth. It seems young George who was born before his parents marriage (originally Ring - mother Charlotte, before taking on his father's name). He was obviously a very troubled soul who moved around He used aliases and no doubt got into trouble. He took up with Bridget Daly, who was an older lady who also had a troubled life. In a fit of jealousy he killed her and then himself at the scene of the crime.He was a coker and they lived in a hovel with nothing accept each other and the pub.
The inquest typically happened soon after the deaths and pre the internet. No doubt records/information was hard to come by. With the best of intentions the police and cornoner would gather info from those who knew him. I guess some of the info was not accurate. George Higgins obviously knew Bridget best, but she was dead and others accaintances would not have not known him as well. A brother (I believe Charles) visiting some 4-5 years ago is interesting. I believe that the time given is approx and my personal thoughts is the Charles visited on his way to America and not having returned from America.A last chance to sort his brother out. Shropshire is mentioned on some reports and my guess was that it was one of the areas he had drifted through. Very many thanks for helping me dig further and to try and solve the mystery.  Mark

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 December 21 17:14 GMT (UK) »
In 1861 George is George H Ring aged 11mths.  Higgins/Ring marriage was 1863 but transcribed as King on freebmd & GRO index

Also - George’s birth was registered as King