Author Topic: Quick question regarding a DNA match  (Read 574 times)

Offline brh2001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quick question regarding a DNA match
« on: Monday 06 December 21 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi there!
So I was recently reviewing my AncestryDNA matches and came across something a bit odd. To cut it short, I have several DNA matches who are the grandchildren of one of my great great great uncles (the brother of my great great grandfather, making the matches my second cousins twice removed,) each of them within a 20-30cM relation to me. However, there is one DNA match that I have who is also (ostensibly) the grandchildren of one of my great great great uncles who is a whopping 100cM. In Ancestry's estimates of likely relationships, a half 1st cousin twice removed is at a 51% likelihood and a 2nd cousin twice removed is only at 22%. Does this make it likely that his grandfather is actually my great great grandfather?

Cheers!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question regarding a DNA match
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 December 21 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi and Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Have you looked at

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

If you enter 100 in the top box, you'll find that you have a 30% chance of being 2c2r with the 100cM Also, if you enter 20 and 30 you have an 8-9% chance of being 2c2r.

I think it might be best to check the 20-30cM matches as, the calculator suggests they are more likely to be more distant or half cousins.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 December 21 13:52 GMT (UK) »
The chart images below show

1 full range of relationships with shared 100cM

2 full range with 30cM
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline brh2001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 December 21 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi there!
I haven't actually come across this tool before. What makes the extremely low likelihood of my other matches being half cousins incredibly puzzling is that we all have shared DNA matches from our common ancestors' maternal AND paternal lines. You are seemingly correct in that this is the more likely culprit, however I am just baffled as to how it would be the case. Perhaps it's just an unusually low amount of shared DNA with those cousins?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 December 21 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Have you contacted any of the lower cM group and, if so,  do they match each other?  Have you contacted the 100cM person, does he/she match any of the others? 

I've found contacting just a few matches can give important clues. If some of you could upload your results to sites that have chromosome browsers and examine how/where you match, you might be able to solve some parts of the jigsaw.