Author Topic: John Nance Gooch, 1770, and his sisters  (Read 1302 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Nance Gooch, 1770, and his sisters
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 13:38 GMT (UK) »
The burial record, 24 Dec 1829, reads "Thomas Caesar Gooch".
However, the death notice in the Suffolk Chronicle, 16 Jan 1830, reads "Lately, age 86, the Rev Caesar Thomas Gooch, of Framlingham, a kind friend, and liberal benefactor to the poor".

There is a baptism in Diss, Norfolk, of "Caesar Thomas, son of Caesar Thomas & Elizabeth Gooch, 17 Sep 1743".

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 21:27 GMT (UK) »
As shown in my charts, George Button mentions two men named Caesar Thomas Gooch: an attorney at Diss (1707-1757) and his son, the vicar of Brundish (1743-1829).

Suffolk FHS marriage transcripts locate Edward Gooch & Elizabeth Button at Brundish on 7 July 1835 and John "Vance" Gooch & Elizabeth Button at Worlingworth on 30 December 1794.

FamilySearch has images of John Nance Gooch's Norwich Consistory Court marriage licence bond and allegation dated 29 December 1794. His fellow bondsman was Samuel Button of Brundish, suggesting that Elizabeth might have belonged to the same family, despite the assertion on pages 5 and 17 of George Button's notes that she was "no relation to us", but John's sister Dorothy Lucy Gooch had married Samuel Button in 1783.

The death of Elizabeth, wife of John "Rance" Gooch of Brundish Hall, on 13 July 1842 was announced in the Suffolk Chronicle three days later. Her age was said to be 70. If she was baptized at Worlingworth on 21 January 1774, her parents were Robert & Elizabeth, who may have married at Saxtead in 1771 (Robert Button of Earl Soham & Elizabeth Ashford). Perhaps coincidentally, the will of John Nance Gooch of Brundish Hall (probate 1849) is catalogued at Suffolk Archives with his home as Saxted (Saxtead).

David

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 January 22 11:37 GMT (UK) »
David/Gobbit

I have sent you a personal message

Harlemswife
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 February 24 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am booting this discussion because the Quilters' Guild are interested in the Gooch quilt again.
 With the help of Rootschatters I did some research into the Genealogy of the Gooch family, and I think we now have most of what we need there. But there is now a researcher who would like to look at the social networks surrounding the women who made the quilt. We are not sure who they were, but they were the daughters of John Nance Gooch (1769-1849). There were possibly nine daughters. If anyone is still interested, and/or can contribute to this research, please post a message or send me a personal message. As i say, it is the social networks we are interested in. Also, does anyone yet know the fate of Brundish Hall which was said to have been transported to the USA stone by stone in the 1930s!
Many thanks.
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall