Author Topic: William Scott - Sailor  (Read 5263 times)

Offline nepean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Scott - Sailor
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 22:30 GMT (UK) »
My last reply should have gone mainly to Callum.

Thank you Callum for directing your researching into reading the Dunino kirk session register.

nepean

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 December 22 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Looks like we both decided to dig into the Dunino kirk session records.
I only looked it up to try to decipher the bit CG07 hadn't been able to make out. I don't have any connection to this family.

Went back to the original because the sizes of the images posted were so big that it was impossible to see the whole thing at once.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 December 22 09:53 GMT (UK) »
"Ann Anderson and Andrew Anderson were children of Archibald Pratt and Jean Vilent."

I think you mean grandchildren.

Harry

Offline nepean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 December 22 12:57 GMT (UK) »
to HDW
Thanks for your eagle eyes to notice that I missed a generation. Not a good time of year to try to keep everything in its proper place.

Yes, Ann and Andrew Anderson were the youngest and the eldest children of John Anderson, schoolmaster, and Janet Pratt. Janet was the eldest child of Archibald Pratt and Jean Vilent. Janet was born  Sep 1730 and died Jan 1814. When Archibald Pratt married in 1729 he was the first Prate named in the Kilrenny opr and had no married brothers or sisters in Kilrenny.

nepean

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 December 22 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Like a lot of people in this country at the moment I am waiting for delivery of several items I ordered online, hopefully in time for Christmas (hope is fading). One of them is a reading lamp from a firm founded and owned by one Alex. Pratt OBE. He says on Wiki that he is from a Services background in a mining family, doesn't say whereabouts in the UK.

As for Vilent/Vilant, the surname was common in St. Andrews and Kingsbarns, acc. to Scotlandspeople. Our local historian George Gourlay, in his chapter about the seizure of the Danish fleet in 1807 in "Our Old Neighbours", mentions drill-master Vilant drilling the Volunteers in the fish yard in Anstruther in that year. They were naval reservists, and were called up for that controversial pre-emptive strike to stop the Danish fleet falling into the hands of Napoleon.

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 December 22 21:13 GMT (UK) »

Re the marriage record for Ann Anderson in Canongate in 1796 in Edinburgh. Yes I too had seen the use of Denoonie and with the agreement of HDWatson had settled on Dunino. But the big problem with this description was that there was no Andrew Anderson, teacher, there at that time. I searched microfilm of all of the surrounding parish records but the only teacher that I found identified was John Anderson, spouse of Janet Pratt,  who had a son Andrew, whose birth was recorded in both Dunino and Kilrenny in 1761, Andrew Anderson was irregularly married in Edinburgh in 1783. Andrew was the s/o John Anderson, teacher in Dunino, and Janet Pratt. John Anderson and Janet Pratt had 5 children and the youngest was Ann Anderson, b Sept 1771 in Dunino.... at least 4 of the 5 children had births recorded in Dunino. Andrew and a sister Wightman were also married in Edinburgh despite a connection to Kilrenny and Dunino.  In Jan 1774 the Dunino opr reported the death of John Anderson, schoolmaster in Dunino. So Ann Anderson was about 2 1/2 when her father died. Did John's eldest child Andrew, b 1761,  take over the care of the 4 youngest children and become the father-figure? Andrew was irregularly married in Edinburgh. Does anyone have an occupation for Andrew Anderson, b 1761?

I'm getting well and truly confused now. Ann Anderson who married James Brown in 1796 was born in 1779 at Kingsbarns to Andrew Anderson and Mary Wilson, or so we seem to think. Andrew and Mary were married in 1770 at Kingsbarns, the man in St. Andrews parish and the woman in this parish. So who is the Andrew Anderson irregularly married in Edinburgh in 1783? I can't find a record of that marriage, although that's not too surprising.

Harry

Offline nepean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 23 December 22 11:26 GMT (UK) »
for the irregular marriage of Andrew Anderson and Mary Brown in Edinburgh 1783, see pg. 250 of the Kilrenny Kirk Session records.

nepean