Author Topic: 104th Regt and King's Own England  (Read 443 times)

Offline Ozzie5678

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
104th Regt and King's Own England
« on: Thursday 09 December 21 06:15 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to track my great-granduncle for a long time, with Lancaster being the last place I knew he was. However recently, I found a Canadian war record which seems likely to be him, although I've been unable to confirm it.
In the former service section, it lists "104th Reg. King's Own Eng 6 months", but have been unable to find a Thomas West born approximatly 1893 in Lancashire serving in England before this Canadian service in 1916. Any help with this would be appreciated. I have access to both ancestry and findmypast to look at records. His regimental number in Canada was 790847.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 104th Regt and King's Own England
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 December 21 06:30 GMT (UK) »
I think you are conflating the answers to two different questions.

Question 9 is “Do you now belong to the Active Militia ? “ to which the answer is “Yes 104th Regiment”

Question 10 is “Have you ever served in any Military Force ? ” to which the answer is “Kings Own Eng 6 months”

So he was in the Canadian 104th Militia Regiment, and previously in the Kings Own in UK for a short time.  If he only served for 6 months in the British Army it’s unlikely that any records will have survived.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ozzie5678

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 December 21 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Do you know of any resources that could help me find people who served in particular regiments? Considering the timeline I think it would've been before the war in the King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster).

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 December 21 08:07 GMT (UK) »
You could try contacting the Kings Own museum
http://www.kingsownmuseum.com/

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk