Author Topic: Burial grounds in Kilsyth  (Read 848 times)

Offline hydrurga

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial grounds in Kilsyth
« on: Thursday 09 December 21 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

The death certificate of an ancestor of mine states that she was buried in the "Burial Ground of Kilsyth" in 1855. I see that Kilsyth Cemetery was opened in 1884, and that Kilsyth Churchyard also had internments. Is anyone aware whether or not there was there a separate older burial ground in Kilsyth before Kilsyth Cemetery opened, or are these the only two options available in Kilsyth. Strangely, the Find a Grave site only lists Kilsyth Cemetery.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Burial grounds in Kilsyth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 December 21 14:55 GMT (UK) »
There will have been a parish kirkyard for centuries, and this was probably the only burial ground in the parish until the cemetery was opened.

The old burial ground in Kilsyth isn't beside the present parish kirk, which was built in 1816 to replace the older kirk beside the burial ground. See https://canmore.org.uk/site/45889/kilsyth-howe-street-burial-ground

The Cemetery is an extension of the old burial ground. Compare https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.97052&lon=-4.05636&layers=168&b=1 with https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.97052&lon=-4.05636&layers=5&b=1 - you may need to zoom in.

As for FindAGrave, it depends totally on whether not a volunteer has happened to 'do' a particular burial ground and has no bearing on the existence of other burial grounds in the same parish.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hydrurga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 December 21 15:25 GMT (UK) »
That's great - many thanks indeed, Forfarian. My comment about Find A Grave was more in surprise that no-one had created an entry for the old burial ground in the time that the site has been in operation. I can see now from your maps, and looking at the current map of Kilsyth, that they probably decided that both burial grounds would just be treated as one and the same, i.e. Kilsyth Cemetery.

As it is, it appears that there is no doubt as to the location of my ancestor's "Burial Ground of Kilsyth", and all that is left for me is to try and determine if the stone is still extant and/or any record of the burial exists.

Many thanks again.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 December 21 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Glad it is useful.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 December 21 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ewan

What are your family names and dates buried in Kilsyth Graveyard.

Im  from Croy next to Kilsyth. My mum was from Kilsyth. They are buried in Kilsyth and i will be there next week with their Wreath.

When the better weather is here next year i plan to visit the workers who are in building at graveyard as i know one of them.Get them to look up where my GGGrandparents  are buried they died 1875.
If you give me names i will have a look for you.
I love a good wonder in nice weather looking at all the names on graves.

Marguerite.

Offline hydrurga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 December 21 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ewan

What are your family names and dates buried in Kilsyth Graveyard.

Im  from Croy next to Kilsyth. My mum was from Kilsyth. They are buried in Kilsyth and i will be there next week with their Wreath.

When the better weather is here next year i plan to visit the workers who are in building at graveyard as i know one of them.Get them to look up where my GGGrandparents  are buried they died 1875.
If you give me names i will have a look for you.
I love a good wonder in nice weather looking at all the names on graves.

Marguerite.

Marguerite, I'm really sorry that I'm late with this reply. I imagine that you've already been to place the wreath and I hope that the weather was good for you and that it was a lovely moment.

If you ever do make it back there, the relative who died there was Jean/Jane Halley who married David Leith and died in Kilsyth in May 1855.

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 December 21 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ewan
Yes I went Tuesday before Christmas. It was Wet and Miserable. Not a lot of people in Graveyard. So I got a good blether with my mammy and daddy without been overheard. Lol.Been a while from my last visit. Year exactly as I realised when I saw the wee santa flower pot we put down last year.I usually go most months.Just show how life has changed with this virus.But hopefully next year I will get more often.Have a good look about.
Until then have a Healthy Happy and Prosperous New Year Ewan.All the best for 2022 . Stay safe.

Marguerite.   

Offline hydrurga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 December 21 18:57 GMT (UK) »
You too Marguerite!