Author Topic: Does anyone visit the Devon RO for a marriage look-up?  (Read 633 times)

Offline Vengeur

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Does anyone visit the Devon RO for a marriage look-up?
« on: Friday 10 December 21 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the parish record of the marriage of William EARLAND & Catherine KELLAWAY on 31 Mar 1834 at Nymet Tracey / Bow in Devon?

I only have the partial transcriptions from Familysearch & FindMyPast [both just give names and the date], and there is nothing on FreeREG, but I would like to know the full details e.g. any information stated after their names and the names of the witnesses.

Any help appreciated thanks

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone visit the Devon RO for a marriage look-up?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 December 21 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch.org have films of the original registers, but they are only viewable at an LDS library.
They also have the Bishop's Transcripts, which are viewable from home if you're signed in.
Go to 'Catalog' at the top of the page. Fill in Bow as place. 'Church Records'.
Film no 005750638. Image 204/230. (Film, or original register, not easy to see.)

William Earland, bachelor and Catherine Kellaway spinster, both of 'this parish'. Married by Banns.
Both make their mark. Witnesses John Martin, and Thomas Madge.

A link on familysearch Family Tree 'records' page has William Earland born 12 JAn 1809 at Winkleigh. Father Mark, mother Ann.
But I see there's another William Earland baptised 9 July 1809 in Crediton, father Thomas, mother Grace.
About the same distance away from Bow.
Crediton is the much bigger place, and easier to get to from Bow along the main road. Winkleigh is up into the wilds of Devon from Bow!
Do you know which one of these he might be?
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Vengeur

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 December 21 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for that! It was hidden in plain sight all along!

Re. William EARLAND, I am not certain about his baptism record as he states the following in the censuses [in each one living in Bow]:

Age 30 in 1841; 41 born Bow in 1851; 54 born North Tawton in 1861; 63 born North Tawton in 1871.

On the balance of possibilities, I think he was that bap. 12 Jun 1810 North Tawton.

Catherine KELLAWAY is potentially interesting as I can find only one baptism: 23 Apr 1797 Spreyton but there is a marriage to Nicholas TERRY in Thornbury on 11 Jul 1824. This is quite far away, but he died soon after [buried Sep 1825 Thornbury] - I wondered whether she returned to Bow / Spreyton and remarried but claiming to be a spinster.

On the other hand, as I can find no likely baptism for Nicholas TERRY, it is possible that the Catherine KELLAWAY is an entirely different person.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 December 21 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Catherine KELLAWAY is potentially interesting as I can find only one baptism: 23 Apr 1797 Spreyton but there is a marriage to Nicholas TERRY in Thornbury on 11 Jul 1824. This is quite far away, but he died soon after [buried Sep 1825 Thornbury] - I wondered whether she returned to Bow / Spreyton and remarried but claiming to be a spinster.

On the other hand, as I can find no likely baptism for Nicholas TERRY, it is possible that the Catherine KELLAWAY is an entirely different person.

Catherine has her sister Maria & niece Susan with her in 1851.  In 1841 they are in the household of Jane Kellaway age 70.  As Catherine is older than William it is possible that she has rounded down her age.  The baptism of Katherine Kellaway on 23 Apr 1797 at Spreyton with parents Robert & Jane of Bow is probably her
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk