Author Topic: Ship disaster near Bournemouth 3rd December 1909  (Read 605 times)

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
Ship disaster near Bournemouth 3rd December 1909
« on: Sunday 12 December 21 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm tracing a person named Hatsch (or Hatch / Hasz) who presumably died on a ship disaster near Bournemouth on the 3rd December 1909. Unfortunately I don't know his whole name or the name and type of the ship. I found this information in the Neue Zürcher Zeitung, Tuesday 7th December 1909 on https://www.e-newspaperarchives.ch/?l=en. I tried to find more information in some newspaper archives in Switzerland, Austria and the United States and also in some wreck databases but without success. So I'm wondering if there is some information in the newspapers around Bournemouth. I know that the Bournemouth Daily Echo is online on britishnewspaperarchive but I can't access it. So I would be grateful if someone can have a look if there was reported a ship disaster (with the names of the victims) near Bournemouth on the 3rd December 1909.

Thanks in advance.

Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ship disaster near Bournemouth 3rd December 1909
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 December 21 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Was it the Ellan Vannin tragedy? It sunk on 3 December 1909, but near Liverpool. All of the crew and passengers died when the ship sank in treacherous waters.

Bournemouth Daily Echo
11 December 1909 - page 3
THE ELLAN VANNIN DISASTER

This wiki page lists the victims' names: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Ellan_Vannin_(1883)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/isleofman/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8330000/8330445.stm

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 December 21 00:40 GMT (UK) »
I don't see anyone named "Hatch" (etc) on the Ellan Vannin. So perhaps there was another vessel that had a maritime incident that week, near Bournemouth.

You presume it was a ship disaster, but maybe the incident in question wasn't maritime-related?

Bournemouth Daily Echo
08 December 1909 - page 3
STEAM TUG SUNK

Bournemouth Daily Echo
10 December 1909 - page 3
PIT FLOODED BY OVERFLOWING

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 December 21 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Linking to the article in the Zurich newspaper. It speaks of a Hatsch from Unterägeri

https://www.e-newspaperarchives.ch/?a=d&d=NZZ19091207-05.2.3&srpos=1&e=------190-en-20--1--img-txIN-hatsch----1909---0-ZH----

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 December 21 11:39 GMT (UK) »
The Thistlemor was lost on the same day as the Ellan Vannin. Can't find a full casualty list at the moment.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 December 21 12:33 GMT (UK) »
THISTLEMOR. Foundered off Clovelly, North Devon  3/Dec/1909.
Lloyds List of 11/Dec/1909 gives the names of the crew who were lost and saved. None of the names seems to come close to the name we are looking for.
 THE THISTLEMOR DISASTER. NAMES OF THE CREW. Following is an official list of the names and addresses of the crew of the Sunderland steamer Thistlemor, wrecked on the North Devon coast : DROWNED. Captain J. W. Anderson (41), North Shields. Chief Officer T. Foster (33), Ilford. Second Officer T. Ireland (34), St. Helens. Carpenter Carl Kjellin (38), Liverpool. A.B. C. Foreland (31), Liverpool. A.B. J. Ayrton (31). Lancaster. A.B. H. Howard (20), Wexford. A.B. J. Lee (22). Burscough. Second Engineer A. R. Foster (23), Sunderland. Third Engineer Arthur Carr (23), Sunderland. Fourth Engineer Philip Nicholson (31), West Boldon. Donkeyman Jas. Kelly (46), Manchester. Fireman G. Woodburn (35). Liverpool. Fireman J. Bruetting (26), Liverpool. Fireman W. Varty (35). Hull. Fireman San Martin (33). Liverpool. Steward Jos. L. De Lean (37), Sunderland. Assistant steward W. Johnson (24), Liverpool. Ship's cook J. Fuzzan (52). Guernsey. Apprentice Geo. W. Smith (19), London. SAVED. Chief Engineer J. T. Stephenson (54), W, Hartlepool. A.B. G. Clarke (19), Liverpool. A.B. Stelian Rassam (22), Roumania. A.B. C. Busher (24), Liverpool. Fireman T. Brough (30), Liverpool. Fireman C. Turner (32), Liverpool. Fireman Walter Croker (25). Liverpool. Fireman Edwin Brett (25), Liverpool. Apprentice Andrew Minto (18), Newcastle.
The only casualty I can find which is anywhere off Bornemouth on 3/Dec/1909 is the steamer
EASTFIELD which foundered off Beachy Head. It appears that none of her crew was lost. She was refloated and sailed until 1917. She was lost to the German submarine UB57. I doubt this is the ship we seek.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 December 21 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thank you all very much for your answers and suggestions. It is interesting to see how many ships sank on the same day.

Linking to the article in the Zurich newspaper. It speaks of a Hatsch from Unterägeri

It says that this Hatsch was originally from Poland and had lived in Unterägeri, Switzerland for two years. Before the time in Switzerland he had lived in the United States for some time and worked as a representant for Edison. I tried to find him in the passenger manifests or other records in the United States, but this is impossible without knowing his whole name. I also read some short biographies of Thomas Alva Edison, but there was no Hatsch mentionned. Hatsch was a chemist and musician.

Regards

Svenja

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 December 21 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Before the time in Switzerland he had lived in the United States for some time and worked as a representant for Edison.

Do you know what his occupation was?

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 December 21 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I don't know more facts than the ones written in the newspaper article. It says that he was a chemist in the United States and a musician later in Switzerland. I don't know if and when or where he studied, but I'm looking at the student lists of some universities in Europe at the moment.

Regards
Svenja