Author Topic: Seeking info on William George Phillips - Kidderminster area  (Read 731 times)

Offline chrisw1961

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking info on William George Phillips - Kidderminster area
« on: Sunday 12 December 21 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, I’m looking for some assistance with a very significant brick wall that I have in my family tree research please, with the main location of interest being Kidderminster.

The birth certificates of my grandfather Charles Henry Phillips (1895-1979) and his brother William Acton Phillips (1892-1987), who were both born in Kidderminster, state that their father was William George Phillips (hereafter WGP). However, I can’t find any evidence that their mother Charlotte Louisa Edge Wright (1869-1940) married WGP and I can’t find the couple living together on any census. Charlotte gave her surname and that of my grandfather as Wright in the 1901 census and again referred to my grandfather as being called Wright in the 1911 census, by which time her surname was Pountney.

When they got married, my grandfather and his brother named different fathers on their certificates, George Wright (deceased) and John Wright respectively. Neither of these were correct – John Wright was actually their maternal grandfather.

Both brothers went through the vast majority of their adult lives using Wright as their surname rather than Phillips. This, of course, raises the possibility that WGP never existed at all. However, my great uncle was named as William Acton Phillips in Great Western Railway employment records in 1910 and also by his aunt and uncle (Thomas and Elizabeth Brighton) in the 1911 census when he was living with them in Birmingham. The latter in particular indicates that WGP was indeed the father of the brothers.

When Charlotte Louisa married William Pountney in 1903, she’s recorded on the certificate with a surname of Wright and as a spinster. However, on the birth certificate of the son she had in that marriage (Harry Pountney in 1908), she qualified her surname with “late Phillips formerly Wright”.

My brick wall is that I can’t trace WGP, as he doesn’t appear with Charlotte Louisa in any marriage or census records and, of course, he has a common name. The only clue is that his occupation on both brothers’ birth certificate is stated as “vocalist”. There’s a family story that he was a member of a touring company, possibly D’Oyly Carte, and either came from or went to the USA but I’ve not had any joy exploring that avenue either.

Any help anyone can provide to help me with tracking down William George Phillips would be very much appreciated!  :)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking info on William George Phillips - Kidderminster area
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 December 21 18:55 GMT (UK) »
I note the births you mention.

PHILLIPS, CHARLES  HENRY     WRIGHT 
GRO Reference: 1895  S Quarter in KIDDERMINSTER  Volume 06C  Page 226

PHILLIPS, WILLIAM  ACTON     WRIGHT 
GRO Reference: 1893  M Quarter in KIDDERMINSTER  Volume 06C  Page 245

However this is the only census I can find near to the post but no William?

1901 Kidderminster, Boarders.

Louisa E Wright 30 Aston, Warwickshire

Charles H Wright 5 Kidderminster

Have I got the wrong family?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 December 21 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

In 'The Era' theatrical newspaper ( I looked at 1893 March 4 on BNA), there are 2 theatres mentioned in Kidderminster - the Theatre Royal has a manager Mr Fred Wright - ' a large audience assembled on Monday to witness the production by Mr G B Phillips's company of Bonnie Boy Blue.'
The 2nd theatre being the Gaiety Concert Hall, manager Mr George Phillips.

So maybe the theatrical angle might be worth exploring as you mention 'vocalist'.

Just a thought,
Lisa

Offline chrisw1961

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 December 21 22:44 GMT (UK) »
I note the births you mantion.

PHILLIPS, CHARLES  HENRY     WRIGHT 
GRO Reference: 1895  S Quarter in KIDDERMINSTER  Volume 06C  Page 226

PHILLIPS, WILLIAM  ACTON     WRIGHT 
GRO Reference: 1893  M Quarter in KIDDERMINSTER  Volume 06C  Page 245

However this is the only census I can find near to the post but no William?

1901 Kidderminster, Boarders.

Louisa E Wright 30 Aston, Warwickshire

Charles H Wright 5 Kidderminster

Have I got the wrong family?

Colin
Many thanks for replying Colin. The entry you've found (for 20 Rock Terrace in Kidderminster) is the correct one to the best of my knowledge. There's this and other evidence to suggest that Charlotte Louisa referred to herself as Louisa. She was born in Aston.

Her other son (at that time) was living with his grandparents John & Procula Wright at 38 Park Street in Kidderminster. William's entry is stated as "William P Wright". His middle name was Acton of course, so the "P" most likely refers to "Phillips".

I don't know why Louisa and Charles were living separately from her parents and William, but have assumed it was most likely due to a combination of a lack of space at her parents' house and her, as a presumably unmarried mother who had a job, being unable to manage having both boys with her.

As I've mentioned, William wasn't with his mother in the 1911 census either; he was with his aunt and uncle in Birmingham by then.

Offline chrisw1961

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 December 21 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

In 'The Era' theatrical newspaper ( I looked at 1893 March 4 on BNA), there are 2 theatres mentioned in Kidderminster - the Theatre Royal has a manager Mr Fred Wright - ' a large audience assembled on Monday to witness the production by Mr G B Phillips's company of Bonnie Boy Blue.'
The 2nd theatre being the Gaiety Concert Hall, manager Mr George Phillips.

So maybe the theatrical angle might be worth exploring as you mention 'vocalist'.

Just a thought,
Lisa
Hi Lisa, many thanks for looking into the theatrical angle, what you've found is very interesting. There being a "G B Phillips" and a "George Phillips" (entirely different people it would seem) associated with each of the theatres at the same time is quite a coincidence. I don't think Fred Wright is linked to my family tree. I'll have to see if I can track down George Phillips or William (George) Phillips in the 1891 census with an occupation of theatre manager or something like that living in the Kidderminster area.

In limiting my original post to stop it being even longer than it was, I didn't mention that William Acton Phillips/Wright stated on his marriage certificate to Stella Richards in 1917 that the occupation of his father John Wright (sic) was a music hall artist. Conversely, when my grandfather Charles married Fanny Kimberlee in 1921, he stated that the occupation of his father George Wright (deceased), also sic, was a carpet weaver!

My grandfather and great uncle's untruths on their marriage certificates meant that it took me a long time to even get started on that branch of my family tree, as there was no surviving knowledge in the family! For whatever reason, my grandfather and great uncle were very keen not to be associated with their real father.

Many thanks again for the info.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 December 21 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Have I missed the occupation of WGP given on the birth certificates?

Yes I had. “Vocalist”. Sorry

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 December 21 06:51 GMT (UK) »
A possibility….
1891 Bordesly, Aston, Warwickshire
Emma Phillips, head, wid, 58, Japan polisher, b. Aston
Henry Phillips, son, single, 21, cycle fitter, b. Aston
Mary A Phillips, dau, single,28, b. Birmingham
William Phillips , son, single, 32 professional singer, b. Aston
Ada Phillips, dau, 14, Japan polisher, b. Aston

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 December 21 07:38 GMT (UK) »
If it helps I think this is the same family in 1871 living in Deritend Aston and all born Birmingham

William Phillips 40 Pearl Button Maker
Emma Phillips 28 Wife Japan Polisher
Mary A Phillips 17 Daughter
William Phillips 13 Son
Henry Phillips    1 Son
Rebecca Johnson 72    Mother-in-law

Kay

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 December 21 07:49 GMT (UK) »
And 1881
Wm. Phillips   53 Pearl Button Maker
Emma Phillips   48 Japan Polisher
Henry Phillips   11
Ada Phillips   4
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)