Author Topic: Looking for Birchinhall and Woodley aka Wadley  (Read 565 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Looking for Birchinhall and Woodley aka Wadley
« on: Monday 13 December 21 05:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for the birth/baptisms of John Wadley aka Woodley and his wife Margaret Birchinhall.

They married 21 Jul 1605 at Wisbech.

The couple raised five children 1609 to 1617 at Melbourn, the children's surname was spelled Wadley.

I have searched Ancestry, Free Reg, Family Search and the initial search in FindMyPast with no success.

At some point the family moved to Essex.

I suspect that there might be a daughter named Margaret perhaps born between 1605 and 1609 somewhere.

I would appreciate any pointers or help, I just cannot find the three people mentioned.

My ancestor is Joane the last of the five children she married Richard Pamphilon as Joane Woodley 2 Mar 1638 at Childerditch, Essex, the couple raised five known children at probably Widdington Essex prior to the start of Widdington Prs in 1666.

Regards
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Birchinhall and Woodley aka Wadley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 December 21 08:13 GMT (UK) »
I found this on FreeREG;

Have you ruled this one out?

JOHN Wadley bapt 27 Nov 1574 All Saints, Melbourn, Father HENRYE
He had a Sister JONE bapt 29 Sep 1576

Possible Marriage Agnes ALYN/Henrye WADLEYE 21 Dec 1573
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

I have ruled him out I think because I found the following

Jhon Wadley married Katheren Paryshe 3 May 1593 at Cambridge St Sepluchre.
Found five children of John and Carheryn Wadley etc all baptised at Melbourn(e) Cambridgeshire.
John 1597, Francys 1599, Marie 1602, Rose 1606 and Henrie 1608.

Also found Alse Wadly baptised 1615 at Barrington, Cambridgeshire, the daughter of John, Lord knows which John.

John & Margaret Woodley/Wadley's five children are Elisabeth 1609, Sarah 1611, John & Richard 1614, and Joane1617,  I haven't of course ruled out the possibility of their being other children baptised in some parish not covered by Ancestry.

Regards and thanks for trying to help.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention that in the 1669 Will of John Woodley senior he named his first and second daughters as Elisabeth Denison and Sarah Neale, I haven't located Elisabeth's marriage but Sarah married John Neale 28 Aug 1637 at St Sepulchre, Cambridge.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 December 21 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Been having a rethink regarding whether the John Wadley baptised in 1574 at Melbourn married Katheren Paryshe in 1593 or Margaret Birchinhall in 1605, I think I might have been a tad hasty in ruling him out as the husband of Margaret Birchinhall. 

I lean a bit towards him being the husband of Katheren but perhaps I'm being influenced with the fact that John and Catheryn baptised a son Henrie, just can't find a way to prove which way to jump, bit of a mess.  :-\

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 December 21 10:13 GMT (UK) »
It may be a mystery that wont be solved.

You are incredibly lucky yo have got that far back :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 December 21 03:27 GMT (UK) »
I thin k you're right Trish it will remain a mystery unless the right Parish PRs become available.

I think there is a jinx on that family line.

My ancestor Richard Pamplyn (later Pamphilon) married Joane Woodley 2 Mar 1638 at Childerditch, Essex by licence, found Joan but Richard will be a mystery too, they had five known children all it appears at Widdington between 1638 and 1665, unfortunately the are no Widdington PR records prior to 1666.  The family moved between Widdington and Rickling quite a bit and Rickling baptisms start at 1662, so if any of the five children were baptised at either parish there's no hope of finding them.

The way I found out of their existence was from the will of Richard's brother Nicholas which bequeathed some cash to the children who were noted as being the children of this brother Richard.

One of Richard's daughters Sarah Pamphilon married my ancestor Thomas Smith at Widdington, originally, trying to find Sarah Pamphilon's none existing baptism was a hair tearing out exercise.

The 1638 Childerditch? marriage of Richard Pamplyn aka Pamphilon was another mystery until the Marriage Licence Allegation came to light which stipulated St Faith, the only church I could find in Essex with a dedication to St Faith was at Childerditch, once again PRs were a pain, Free Reg Childerditch marriages start at 1750 and I cannot find the marriage in Ancestry.

So, Jinxed they are.  :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 December 21 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately the further back we try and go records are very hard to find.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 December 21 02:05 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately the further back we try and go records are very hard to find.

Very true Trish, had the same problem with my Essex Searles, several ancestors were born and married in Gt Saling, those Baptism PRs start at 1715 and marriages and burials 1732, Little aka Bardfield Saling go 1561 to 1562 and then start at 1583.

I was very lucky that a guy named Ken Searles wrote a book entitled From Bardfield to Brookend, which is the story of not only his Searles line but most of the Essex Searles. I had got back to a William Searles born about 1680, found his marriage to Grace Goldstone in 1705 but no birth or baptism,  Ken had the patience to check Wills, Court and Manorial Rolls etc so he managed to take his (and my) line back to a John Serle born about 1420 possibly in Thaxted, he was the Keeper of the King's Great Park at Great Bardfield, another of my Searles was the Keeper of the King's Little Park at Thaxted, those early /Searles also had various properties around the Great Saling area, quite a few of my early ancestors were moneyed people, where did all the money go, where's my inheritance?

I have been able to add the odd date or person to the tree and one or two corrections but Ken's book was a great piece of work, Ken added so much extra details such as any houses still standing, observations about the villages etc, it's like having a travel guide as well.

Regards.