Author Topic: Elizabeth Shepherd -Parents  (Read 282 times)

Offline pegwill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Shepherd -Parents
« on: Tuesday 14 December 21 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I wonder if you can help please.

My research has led me to Elizabeth Shepherd (1765-1828) who married William Haynes (1759-1818) in Stratton Audley.
In trying to research Elizabeth’s parents I have ended up with two possibilities.

Possibility 1
Father: Thomas Shepherd (1713-1804) b. Stratton Audley
Mother: Ann Fenemore (1739-Uknown) b. Brackley
Marriage date: 1757 Place: Stratton Audley
Children: Sarah 1759, Ann 1760, Susana 1760, Elizabeth 1763-1764), Elizabeth 1764 (the same Elizabeth as above), Martha 1767, John 1768, Hannah 1770.

Possibility 2
Father: Father: Thomas Shepherd (1713-1782) b. Stratton Audley
Mother: Ann Standbridge (1717-1800) b. Stratton Audley
Marriage date: 1744 Place: Stratton Audley
Children: Elizabeth 1745-Uknown, Ann 1746, Sarah (1754-1754)

As you can see both records show the same DOB for Thomas Shepherd as the Father albeit there are different dates for his death which I cannot find records to substantiate.

It did occur to me that Thomas was widowed and then went on to remarry in 1757 but again there seems to be no records to confirm this.

Regarding the two Elizabeth’s is it likely he had two children named Elizabeth? I could not find any details of death for Elizabeth 1745. If it was Elizabeth 1745 this would make her 14 years younger than her husband William Haynes 1759, so still possibility. If it were Elizabeth 1765 it would make her 6 years older than her husband William.

Hopefully I have outlined my conundrum

Thanks for looking

Regards
pegwill

Offline pegwill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Shepherd -Parents
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 December 21 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys
My progress so far and my guess based on probability is:

First off I guess it’s pretty fundamental with a name like ‘Shepherd’ that there are various spellings, from ‘Shepherd’ to ‘Shephard’ to ‘Shepherd’ and ‘Sheppard’ and even ‘Shepheard’. These variances seem to occur across all the family groups.

Although I still could not separate the ‘Thomas Shepherd’ that married ‘Ann Fenemore’ from the ‘Thomas Shepherd’ that married ‘Ann Standbridge’ I have come to the conclusion based on the probability that:

That Thomas who married Ann Fenemore is the most likely.

The reason for this is if it were Thomas and Ann Standbridge who was born in 1717 (and married in 1744) would be either 28 years old when their Elizabeth(1745) was born or 48 years old when Elizabeth(1765) was born. At the time of her marriage Ann Standbridge was 27 years old. Where if she was married on the date of Ann Fenemore’s marriage, 1757 Ann Standbrige would have been 40 years old.

I believe that Ann Fenemore had eight children including Elizabeth(1765)(my target) between the dates 1759 and 1770. Ann Standbridge would have been 53 years old by the time the last child was born, although not impossible. On the other hand Ann Fenemore (1739) would was 18 years old at the time of her marriage (1757) and subsequently 31 years old at the time of the birth of the 1770 child.

I could not locate a death record for either of the Anns Shepherd (including variations) which may have been some help.

For completeness I can say that during the period 1706 – 1770 the following had parents and children named ‘Shepherd’ (and variances) as well as Thomas and Ann Fenemore (8 Children) and Ann Standbridge (3 Children)

Richard and Ann(e) – 8 Children

James and Sarah – 11 Children

John and Ann(e) – 2 Children

John and Elizabeth - 1 Child

Richard and Mary – 4 Children

Richard and Elizabeth – 9 Children

While not conclusive the only help would be a death record other than that I will have to go with above analysis at this time.

Sorry it is a bit long winded.

Regards

Pegwill

Offline pegwill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Shepherd -Parents
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 December 21 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys

Just a little update.

I managed to find burial records for Ann Shepherd

First - 8th April 1797 - Stratton Audley - The record is difficult to read but I think that's what it says.

Second - 13 April 1801 - Stratton Audley

So as you can see really no help.

I cant see a way forward from this at present, but I will leave the post up for a couple more days in case there are any ideas, then I will mark it 'completed' to avoid cluttering up the Board

Have a good weekend

Regards

pegwill