Author Topic: Blackheath: seeking the children of George & Sarah Wood  (Read 581 times)

Offline chrisw1961

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blackheath: seeking the children of George & Sarah Wood
« on: Tuesday 14 December 21 17:39 GMT (UK) »
In the 1911 census record for George & Sarah Wood, who lived in Green Lane, Blackheath, George stated that the couple had had 10 children up to that point, only 3 of whom had survived sadly. The 3 survivors were all on that census record:

Sarah Ann/Ellen (b 1892)
Emily/Emmie/Emma (b 1897)
Frances (b 1901)

I believe (but am not certain about all of them) that other children of theirs who'd died by 1911 were:

Henry (b 1890 d before 1901)
John Henry (b 1891 d before 1901)
Lucy Rebecca (b & d 1893)
Mary (b 1895 d before 1901)
William (b 1900 d before 1911)

If correct, that accounts for 8 of the 10 children, but I'd like to find the other 2 if anyone is able to help please? I'm aware that George & Sarah had 2 further children after 1911 - George Ivan (b 1912) and Samuel (b 1916), making 12 children in all. Sarah's maiden name was Round.

Things are complicated by the fact that, almost unbelievably, there was another Sarah Round in the area who'd also married a man called Wood (Samuel in that instance). At the time of the 1911 census, Samuel & Sarah were living at 35 Little Cottage Street, Brierley Hill. They'd had 4 children at that point, 1 of whom had died. I think the 4 were:

Ann Maria (b 1896)
Florence May (b 1898 d 1900)
Eliza May (b 1903) - I've obtained her birth certificate
Gladys (b 1907)

All years stated above should be regarded as "about".

As well as identifying the 2 "missing" children of George & Sarah Wood, I'd also like to find out what year they moved to Green Lane between 1901 and 1911? It looks like electoral registers aren't going to help in that regard, so I suspect I'm not going to get anywhere with that additional query. ((As an aside, Sarah continued to live at the Green Lane address right through until at least 1946)).

TIA for any help anyone can provide :)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Blackheath: seeking the children of George & Sarah Wood
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Have you used the GRO website to extract all of the Wood / Round births for that period  :-\
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/menu.asp
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 17:45 GMT (UK) »
You can do a maiden name search for free using the GRO website.  You have to register - also free. 
It allows a 2yr plus/minus search (eg)  Put in 1890 - select 2yr & it will search 1888- 1892

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Re the 2 Wood/Round marriages.

George & Sarah married 1890 Dudley
Samuel & Sarah 1897  Stourbridge

Check the censuses to establish which registration district they were each living in at that time as that can help to separate the births

Samuel & Sarah were in the Stourbridge RD in 1901/1911
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline chrisw1961

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Have you used the GRO website to extract all of the Wood / Round births for that period  :-\
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/menu.asp
Hi Rosie, thanks for your reply. Most of my info was verified/obtained via the GRO.

Offline chrisw1961

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 18:11 GMT (UK) »
You can do a maiden name search for free using the GRO website.  You have to register - also free. 
It allows a 2yr plus/minus search (eg)  Put in 1890 - select 2yr & it will search 1888- 1892

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp
Thanks Carole - see my reply to Rosie above. It is a shame that the GRO searches are restricted to +/- 2 years.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes - but you are not covering that big a timescale.  Don't forget about using the RD to separate the 2 lots of births

Offline chrisw1961

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Re the 2 Wood/Round marriages.

George & Sarah married 1890 Dudley
Samuel & Sarah 1897  Stourbridge

Check the censuses to establish which registration district they were each living in at that time as that can help to separate the births

Samuel & Sarah were in the Stourbridge RD in 1901/1911
Thanks again Carole. I must admit I haven't been able to make much sense of the reg districts as I suspect things changed during the period I'm looking at.

George & Sarah were married at St Giles Church in Rowley Regis, but lived in Blackheath after they got married. Their 1891 census record shows the reg dist as Dudley, but the 1901 record says Stourbridge. The 1911 census says "373" for the reg dist, which I suspect is Stourbridge, but I'm not certain. Blackheath is much closer to Dudley than it is to Stourbridge of course.

Being close to a shifting border between Staffs and Worcs might be confusing things too!

I'm not sure that the 2 "missing" children have "Round" as the mother's maiden name in the GRO indexes.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk