Author Topic: Peter Cumming - a missing link  (Read 900 times)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Cumming - a missing link
« on: Wednesday 15 December 21 03:19 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find an immigration for Peter Cumming to New South Wales Australia,  I have the following records.

Peter was born 1821 in Banffshire.

Married 2 Oct 1848 in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire to Jean Martin (or sometimes Jane on records) born 1825 in Ayrshire. two children Alexander 1849 and Daniel 1851 born in Lanarkshire.

1851 Census - Barony , Lancashire.  Peter, Jean and Daniel 6 months.  No Alexander?

1861 Census  - Kilmarnock, Ayreshire  - 2 boys Alexander and Daniel (grandsons) are with Jean's mother Elizabeth.

Next record found are the New South Wales (Australia )Immigration Deposit Journals date 19 August 1864. Peter has sponsored his two sons Alexander and Daniel and a Margaret Cassie  aged 21 (servant) to sail on the ship "Trebolgin" for Aust. they arrived in NSW  on 28 June 1865 - AND - Peter and Margaret married two weeks after their arrival.

OK. Does this mean Peter was already in Australia.

I have found a record for a Jane Cumming on the Scotland Admission Registers for Asylums - Jane Martin, Admission 17 July 1854, Barony Poor House, Barnhill, Glasgw. Death date  10 Dec 1861.
Could this be Peter's  wife?    It seems to fit the scenario. Maybe he met Margaret in Scotland and  went to Australia first with the intention of bringing them out when he was settled?

Any thoughts and an immigration record  for Peter would be greatly appreciated so I can put their story together

Many thanks, Judy

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Cumming - a missing link
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 03:47 GMT (UK) »

"Does this mean Peter was already in Australia."

His death certificate should record years in the colony.....names/ages of children....name of first wife.

Does the death certificate for Peter CUMMING, b. 1825, indicate that knowledge of first wife is known to informant....there is memory of Jane?

Peter might have arrived in Australia at colony other than NSW.

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply,

I assumed as Peter's 2 sons and future wife arrived at Port Jackson, Sydney, NSW, that Peter most likely immigrated there also. Regarding the death Certificate, I only have an index which states just his parents,  Alexander and Margaret.
 I have only recently started putting all of this together, I can order a certificate, but , as they are not digitised it will take up to 4 weeks ro receive it,  however if I have to go down this path I will do so if nothing comes forth
Judy

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 05:13 GMT (UK) »

Can you please list all the information on the marriage certificate, 1865.

There might be a clue to his life in Australia .....address, names of witnesses.

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Marriage Cert -  11 July 1865 Scots Church, Sydney. Peter Cumming  age 43, Widower Occupation Stone Mason.

Margaret Cassie, spinster aged 22 Domestic servant, Usual residence for both Glebe NSW.

Witnesses,  Peters two sons Alexander and Daniel

Peter's parents  - Alexander Cumming (Farmer)  Mother  Margaret Stewart

Margaret's parents - James Cassie  (Stone Mason)  MotherGrace McIlvrick

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Scotland's People lists a baptism of Peter, son of Alexander Cumming and Margaret Stuart, in Inveravon on 27 May 1821.

He is probably the 20-year-old mason, born Banffshire, in the household of William Richardson, gardener, at Buchromb House in the parish of Mortlach in the 1841 census.

His baptism is indexed in the IGI as Peter Cumming or Stuart, which suggests that he was illegitimate.

There is a minute in the Inveravon Kirk Session records: 27th May 1821 .... Compeared Alexr Cumming in Knocknashalg and acknowledg'd himself Father of a child, which had been born in fornication by Margaret Stuart, his servant, and begged that he might be allowed to satisfy the discipline of the Church. He was accordingly exhorted to repentance, rebuked, fined, and dismissed.

Interestingly, there is no mention of Margaret Stuart being summoned to answer for her sin. I speculate, therefore, that she was probably a Roman Catholic, Inveravon being one of the areas where there was a significant RC population while most of the country was staunchly Presbyterian.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply. I do have that baptism record for Peter, he was born illegitimate and his mother Margaret died in childbirth. I have no evidence there was a marriage to Alexander.
Yes I think that Census record is also correct
Judy

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply. I do have that baptism record for Peter, he was born illegitimate and his mother Margaret died in childbirth. I have no evidence there was a marriage to Alexander.
Where did you get the information that his mother died in childbirth?

Alexander married Margaret Hay in 1823 and they had numerous children. He died in 1878 aged 94, mother's maiden surname Procter.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 10:23 GMT (UK) »
I have the records for Alexander and Margaret Hay also their children snd yes his mother was a Proctor

In regard to Margaret Stuart death in 1821 I don’t have the record, I think I may have got it from a family member and I assumed she may have died in childbirth, thank you for the nudge I will have to dig deeper and find the death record