Author Topic: Peter Cumming - a missing link  (Read 910 times)

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Cumming - a missing link
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 10:25 GMT (UK) »
     ScotlandsPeople - Statutory registers index lists this death.
Jane Cummings, other name Martin, died 1861 at Springburn, Glasgow aged 37 years. Mother's maiden name White. [Statutory Deaths 622/2 386]

Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Jean / Jane Martin her parents were Daniel Martin and Elizabeth Roxburgh.
I doubt that one you gave me is correct
Thank you all the same, all input helps

I am leaning to the poor house record  in my original post, however it is a poor House record only and has no parents listed. I am not a member of Scotland’s people
 Judy

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 10:44 GMT (UK) »
I'd have thought that if she had died, then either the baptism record or the Kirk Session record, or both, would have said so. But maybe not.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 December 21 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I am leaning to the poor house record  in my original post, however it is a poor House record only and has no parents listed.
What information does it contain? Does it name a husband, or a birthplace, or say how many children she had? Why was she admitted to the Poorhouse?

There's a J C, female, married, 38, born Kilbrandon, Argyll, in the 1861 census, but she is a patient in a private lunatic asylum so she is probably not the one who was admitted to Barnhill in 1854 and died in 1861. Also there's no way of knowing if the C stands for Cumming. That Springburn death in 1861 will be the correct one for the Barnhill inmate so it looks unlikely that she is the wife of Peter Cumming.

I reckon, for what it's worth, that Jean Martin, wife of Peter Cumming, died between the 1851 census and the start of civil registration in 1855. Peter left his sons in the care of his mother-in-law and went to Australia, where he got himself established and then sent for the boys to join him. That would explain the apparent absence of both Peter and Jean from the 1861 census.

I am not a member of Scotland’s people
No-one is a 'member' of Scotland's People. It's not a membership or a subscription service. It is unavoidable if you are researching family in Scotland.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 December 21 00:28 GMT (UK) »
The Poor House Record -No more information on the index than what i have given to you.

I agree with your reckoning, they have been my thoughts also.
Peter must have known and intended to Marry Margaret on her arrival with his sons to marry her so quickly.

Thanks to all at Rootschat, I think this maybe all the information we will get
Judy.