Author Topic: KRUGER sisters sailing from HAMBURG to BRISBANE 1879  (Read 713 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KRUGER sisters sailing from HAMBURG to BRISBANE 1879
« on: Thursday 16 December 21 02:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can help me find the name of the ship that brought Wilhelmine Pauline Albertine Kruger (known as Wilhelmina) and her sister Emilie Auguste Bertha Kruger (known as Bertha) to Queensland. An obituary for Bertha says they landed on 5 Aug 1879. The nearest I could find were the Aberlemno which came to Queensland on 30 Jul 1879, the Arthur Stone on 31 Jul 1879 and possibly the Clan Macleod (later the James Craig) which came to Brisbane on 11 Aug 1879 (from http://www.blaxland.com/ozships/year/arrive/s69.htm). I also consulted the Index to registers of immigrants ships arriving in Queensland from the Queensland Archives which has the same information. I was hoping it might say "ex Hamburg" or something similar in the Remarks.
I am fairly certain that the date is at least approximately right. Bertha, who was 21, married in Queensland on 14 Aug 1879, so perhaps was coming to meet her betrothed. Wilhelmina, who was 24, married on 8 Jan 1880, so that was also soon after arrival.
The girls' father had died and their mother had remarried in 1861. She and her new family came to Queensland in 1883 on the Wega (not on La Hogue, as it says in the mother's obit). 
To the best of my knowledge the girls paid their own way. I'm not sure if the "immigrant ships" index only covers ships containing subsidised passengers.
Any tips on how I might find the name of the girls' ship would be gratefully appreciated.
Geoff Turner
Brisbane

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: KRUGER sisters sailing from HAMBURG to BRISBANE 1879
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 December 21 10:53 GMT (UK) »

Did Wilhelmine and Bertha arrive on the La Hogue?  That ship brings immigrants to QLD, 1878.

Where did Bertha and Wilhelmine marry?

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 December 21 11:18 GMT (UK) »
I just have the Queensland BDM for the two marriages.

Carl Friedrich Staatz
Event date: 08/01/1880
Event type: Marriage registration
Registration details: 1880/C/1109
Spouse: Wilhelmina Paulina Albertine Krueger

Bertha Kruger
Event date: 14/08/1879
Event type: Marriage registration
Registration details: 1879/C/1172
Spouse: Julius Kitzelmann

Kitzelmann and Staatz were associated with places in the Lockyer Valley west of Brisbane, as was the girls’ mother when she followed in 1883. I’ll have a look into that theory about La Hogue. There has to be some reason it was mentioned in the mother’s obit.

Thanks,
Geoff

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 December 21 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Our records usually only include people classified as migrants—those receiving land orders or assisted or free passages from the government. If your ancestor paid their own way there may be no record. Try searching the National Archives of Australia.

https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/arts/heritage/archives/collection/immigration

The NAA mostly only has records from 1901 onwards.

Debra  :D

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 December 21 16:52 GMT (UK) »
The NAA mostly only has records from 1901 onwards.

The NAA does have pre 1900 arrivals for Brisbane ...
This is a film for 1875-1880, but the years 1878 and 1879 seem to be missing:
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=32722215

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 December 21 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I'll have a look through the NAA records from 1875 to 1877. But I think they probably came in 1878 or 1879.
Geoff

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 December 21 00:30 GMT (UK) »
I have had no luck with the Kruger sisters, but thanks for all your help. Their grandfather was a “hereditary mill owner” so there would have been plenty of money in the family to pay their own way. I have a better understanding now of their mother’s trip to Australia with her new family. I have them leaving Hamburg on the “Wega” but I now know that was a steamship that just took people to London to join other ships bound for the new world. The Golz family would have joined the sailing ship “La Hogue” in London and it arrived in Moreton Bay on 5 Oct 1883. So the obit was right after all.
Thanks again for all your help. We have also been getting help from a man in Germany who I first encountered through Rootschat. What a wonderful resource this is!
Geoff

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 January 22 06:05 GMT (UK) »
TreeSpirit has directed us to the passenger list for La Hogue in 1883. We now know that the Golz family were listed as Gobtz, which was making it difficult to find them. Also, two-year-old Louise Golz, who was a puzzle, was in fact two-year-old Louise Muller, the daughter of Auguste Golz and her husband Johann Muller, who was also on the ship (as was Bertha Muller, perhaps his sister). They were all "Free Nominated", which meant someone had paid to bring them to Queensland -- presumably the Kruger sisters, who had both married farmers.  I think the fact the 1878 and 1879 arrivals are missing from the NAA collection means the records for the ship the Kruger sisters arrived on have been lost. But it has been a productive search nonetheless. Thanks to all for their help. Geoff

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 January 22 06:49 GMT (UK) »
thanks, Geoff for letting us know what you have found - always nice to hear that a search has been successful.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk